Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

The barrel length on all these pistols is 3 ​3⁄4".

They all hold 7+1 rounds.

The three S&W Models 457 weigh in at 29 oz.
The S&W Model 4513TSW weighs in at 28.6 oz.

The 457S and 4513TSW are going to cost the most.

I am thinking the best for the money would be the 457S.

I may have to settle for a S&W Model 457.

I think I prefer the S&W Model 4513TSW without the rail over the 4513TSW with the rail.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

What are your thoughts on these 5 different pistols, but the same in so many aspects?

· Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
S&W Model 4516 is the same size as the S&W Model 457 (29 oz.), but is all stainless steel and a little heavy for concealed carry at 36.8 oz.

S&W Model PC Shorty .45 ACP has a stainless steel slide and aluminum alloyed frame.

8 round magazines S&W .45 ACP:

The S&W 4563 weighs in at 30.6 oz. The best choice for concealed carry with that extra round.

The S&W 4566 weighs in at 38.4 oz.

· Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S&W 4563 PC CQB looks like the real winner here, if you can find one.

· Registered
241 Posts
Legelegel, I don't have experience with the others, but I think the CQB is a good choice for carry. I may be a bit biased about that though because I've owned a 4563 CQB for 20 years or so now. I did carry it every working day for some time. It weighs 29.3 ounces. It has been excellent in all respects.

Attachments

· Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have read that the S&W Model 4513TSW is almost as accurate as an S&W Model PC Shorty 45, but is easier to conceal with the smaller grip frame.

· Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is the order in which I would buy one of these.

1. S&W Model 4563 PC CQB (Just as light as the S&W Model 457, but has an 1/2 inch longer barrel with one extra round.)
2. S&W Model PC Shorty 45
3. S&W Model 4513TSW (without the rail)
4. S&W Model 457S
5. S&W Model 457

Reactions: Poohgyrr

· Premium Member
3,219 Posts
This is the order in which I would buy one of these.

1. S&W Model 4563 PC CQB (Just as light as the S&W Model 457, but is 3/4 inch longer barrel with one extra round.)
2. S&W Model PC Shorty 45
3. S&W Model 4513TSW (without the rail)
4. S&W Model 457S
5. S&W Model 457
I agree with that lineup.... the 457 puts me off due to the "value line" plastic parts. From what I've read, the sights and mag catch can become problematic and are different from other 3rd gens, so if you need a replacement, you're more prone to a parts availability issue than with "regular" 3rd gens that have a wide range of interchangeability between them.

Reactions: legelegel

· Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The first run of the S&W .45 Shorty had fixed sights, single sided safety/decocker with black controls on a stainless finish. 662 of these are reported manufactured.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Revolver

The S&W Shorty 45 MK II was adjustable sights with ambi safety and stainless controls. 179 of these reported manufactured.

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

· Registered
5 Posts
The 457 had a longer production run than the 457S, so they are easier to find. After about four years of looking I was offered a 457S out of the blue (no pun intended). I snapped it up. I also have a 457, which is in near new condition. The problem with Zanders is that the finish on the slide wears very quickly.

There is also a 457DAO that was specially made for the Chicago PD. I've never seen on in the flesh and only recently saw pictures of one on another forum.

· Registered
2 Posts
I agree with that lineup.... the 457 puts me off due to the "value line" plastic parts. From what I've read, the sights and mag catch can become problematic and are different from other 3rd gens, so if you need a replacement, you're more prone to a parts availability issue than with "regular" 3rd gens that have a wide range of interchangeability between them.
What parts are plastic?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

· Registered
129 Posts
What parts are plastic?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Rear sight, and the magazine catch nut--it's a plastic 'donut' (nylon? delrin?) that snaps onto
shaft of mag catch (which is steel). The 'normal' mag catch is a steel nut that threads onto
shaft of mag catch, and is retained by a spring-loaded detent. The Value Line/CS plastic
nut is considered a "one time use" item by S&W, not to be removed and reused.

I popped one off a CS9, and it left a thin ring of plastic behind...so that warning seems
reasonable.

· Premium Member
32 Posts
I don't know where the PC guns came from , I thought this was about the 457's and a 4513TSW . S peaking because I own all of them I would go with the 457S and then the 4513TSW . The 457S is a fairly rare piece , I think because most owners sit on them . They are great guns and I've never had a problem with mine . I've been lucky in my collecting , I have all 3 Recon's and a Shorty40 and 45 . First problem is finding these and then they aren't going to be cheap . All in all , if it was me , I'd go with the 457S . My 2 Zanders sit in the safe , the finish is too easy to come off . I had 3 , but one was sent off to get customized , I do have a fondness for 457's .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts