Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy
I have a S&W 44 mag revolver Ser. #S167652. It's like a model 29 without the Mod 29 stamp under the crank. I called S&W to see what information they might have on it and they said the revolver was made late 1956 or early 1957, probably in 1957. Also said there was no indication of a model number there. The lady spent some time looking through some records and there really wasn't much else on it. She said it could be a model 21, but that shows to be a round butt revolver and this one is square. I have had it for probably 45 to 50 years. It has the red insert front site, rear adjustable sight. It is a 3 scew sideplate but has a screw just ahead of the trigger guard. 4 inch barrel wide "target" trigger and hammer. Under the cylinder latch are the numbers 84036. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Its a Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum, the predecessor of the Model 29. S&W did not start numbering revolvers until 1957 when the order went out to change to model numbers. The four inch guns are worth a bit more to collectors; however, value is always determined by condition.

As described, your gun is considered a "four screw." The screw in front of the trigger guard is counted also. The number beginning with "S" is the serial number. The other numbers you cited are simply assembly numbers and have no meaning outside the factory.

These guns came standard with a red ramp front sight, white outline rear sight, target trigger, target hammer and "special target" grips. Most were blued with a few in nickel.

The grips were called "special target" grips by S&W and are called "coke bottle" grips or "cokes" for short by collectors. They are highly sought after and many, including me, consider them the most comfortable target grips ever made by S&W.

Do you have a box with it. An early gun should have a black or blue presentation case with a blue satin-type lining. If you have the box it should have the serial number written on the bottom with a grease pencil. These boxes are also sought after and add value to the package.

Photographs would help with condition and value assessment.

AND Welcome to the forum.

Bill

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I think we can narrow down the time frame in which your gun was made. S&W eliminated the upper side plate screw in 1956 on the N frames. In 1958, they begin stamping model numbers in the yoke area. So I believe your gun was made between 1956 and 1958. If you can count the number of serrations on your back strap and let us know how many we may be able to narrow it down even further. Before 1956 there were six serrations. Then 10 serrations replaced the 6. Also, S&W switch to a bright blue finish on these guns. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Guy

·
Registered
Vigilant Curmudgeon
162 Posts
Hi Hijinxtx, I am not a frequent flyer here , but Welcome to S&W forums.

PS. Also a big Fanboy of N frames . 44 mag handgun Hunter.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
30,038 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! A .44 magnum is an item on my list to add to my collection, hopefully soon.😁

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
You'll like taking it to the range. Those Coke grips really make a difference compared to later target grips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some pictures of the pistol. Hopefully. If I can put them in here.

It's in good condition. Super slick action like all the older guns were.
There are 10 serration on the back strap.
I do not have the box.
I know the pistol was carried as protection in Alaska by the original owner.
I believe it was re blued after he moved back from Alaska. It's a really deep blue. Revolver
Revolver Metal
Revolver
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

The information about the pistol came from his widow and she did not know much.
It's fun to shoot! I carried it off and on in the 70's for duty.

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
With a 10 serration backstrap, your gun was likely made in late 1957 or 1958 before model numbers were stamped in the yoke. Take off the grips and post pictures of the left side of the grip frame.

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Well, there is no indication on the grip frame that the factory did any work on the gun. The factory used to stamp the frame with an R-B inside a box to indicate a factory reblue and typically stamped the date of the work on the toe of the frame. So, the refinish was done outside the factory.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Sweet looking gun mate, I'm partial to the 44magnum..

thewelshm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts