Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 70 year old eyes are having a major problem focusing on the standard 3 white dot sights and trying to find the target. Anybody had this problem and found a solution? This is a carry gun, so no red dot scope sights, etc. are applicable here. Would tritium night sights help, or would they just be a bright blur instead of the white/black blur I now have? I wear no-line bifocals and can see the sights fairly well if I remember to tip my head back far enough to look through the highest level of magnification. However, this is not only an unnatural shooting position, but probably unrealistic for defensive shooting. All suggestions appreciated.

Ron

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Without my glasses I have this same problem with all of my guns except the Glocks and SIGs with the huge factory white dot sights. As I practice both with and without my specs this is an issue for me too....

I don't think that Trijicons will help as much as larger, brighter sights such as Kings....

Try this link.

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/index2.html

Here's their sights. I bet they'll have something for your 3900 Series Autopistol.

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page02.html

The SIG sights are similar to the No.103 "King-Tappan" and the Glock is very much like the N0.104 "Hardballer".

Good Luck Sir!

Drew

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had the same sights on my 6906 and the same problem...as my eyes got worse, I found that these sights were particularly hard to see since there was no room on either side of the front side (no light)...I switched to the P7 since even though blurry without glasses, I can see the front lined up correctly in the center of the rear...so maybe thinning your front sight will help...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Widening the rear notch or a Sipowicz said thinning the front will make a huge difference makeing the sight undercut allowing light on both sides of the sight is extreamly helpfull for alot of folks..
My Ruger MKII came with this type of sight & it's very nice & shoots great & is very fast to aquire a sight picture..
I put new Meprolites in my 3913 & am fairly happy with the sight picture & the super bright nightsites.
Gary/Hk

Hey DD/Sipowicz it's me Gary aka Beretta92

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hey Gary, great to see you here. welcome01

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am already a believer on switching to a wider notch rear sight, but still up in the air on front sight. I am considering sending a pistol to Novaks for installation of adjustable wide notch rear, and either light pipe or gold dot front. My use is strictly at the range, and on falling plates and steel challenge plates, so quick acquisition is what I need. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I realy like the fiber optic front sights for quick target aquizition & an undercut rear sight..
Saw the ones Novak offers that is .010" wider on each side of the rear sight..
Good Luck In finding the exact one you like the best
Also I found I like the smaller "Red" insert best in my Ruger MKII that has changeable lite pipes.
The green seems brighter but "MY" eyes like the Red
Gary/Hk

·
Registered
626 Posts
Gold bead: One of these has been working well for me whenever there is any light at all to reflect off of it.

Tritium fiber optic: Works well for me all the time.

Meprolight: this brand of regular tritiums has a front sight that is easier for me to see then my long time favorite Trijicons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts