Smith And Wesson Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

S&W .38 spl. Mod. 60 Serial number history

95K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  Wiregrassguy 
#1 ·
Trying to figure out how old my great uncles old .38 is, got it as a gift when he passed away and wana see if its worth selling to upgrade my home defense. So please help if you can with the serial..all help is mush appreciated

Serial number R1152x'x

#2 ·
That would be from the first year of nproduction for the model, 1969. My brother bought one a few months ago for $300, but that price was more than reasonable. It is a great revolver suitable for duty as home defense but more suitable for personal defense as a CCW. Your uncle was pretty wise buying it, don't undo that.

#4 ·
Per the SCSW, the first year of production for the model 60 was 1965, the R serial number series for the model 60 started in 1969, and s/n R1152xx shipped in 1974-75. Also per the SCSW, the model 60 shared an all-numeric s/n series with the Chief Special until 1969, when the R s/n's started.
FWIW I recently bought two model 60's, both in pretty nice condition. A couple months ago, I paid $425 (private party sale) for the first one, a 1979-80 gun, and just last friday, I paid the same $425 out-the-door ($390 + tax) from a LGS for a 1970-73 gun. I feel like I got a fair deal on the private party buy, and a good deal on the gunshop buy- esp since the gunshop gun included the original grips s/n'd to the gun.
So if the OP is gonna sell great-unc's model 60, $400-ish is a fair price depending on condition. But I'd recommend he keep it-- like all Chief Specials, the model 60 is a great little carry gun and they're just not making them anymore.

#5 ·
I am new to the forum my model 60 no dash s#ayn9### can someone tell me when it was made.thanx in advance woodyw

hello I,m anewbie on this forum,I have model 60 no dash s#AYN9###.I was wondering if any of you can tell me when it was made?thanx in advance,woodyw

#10 ·
Recently found a .38 special, Model 60(no dash), 2" barrel that had been missing for at least 3 years. My brother in law is interested in buying the gun, but I wanted to find out what year it was made and about what it is worth. I know that I bought it back in the late 80's brand new. The serial number is AWC786x. Thanks.

#11 ·
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, caniacfan! Your M60 was shipped in July 1987 with that SN. Can't tell you what it is worth without pictures. Condition is everything. I recently sold my M60 for $400.

#12 ·
Thanks for the info Wiregrassguy. I've probably put no more than 100 rounds thru the gun and the last of those was not long after I got it. I was restricted to 38+p ammo
and those things ate my hand up due to the short barrel and the force of the round. I put it aside after those first 50-100 rounds and haven't used it since. I put Pacmyer(sp.)grips on the gun back then and have no idea where the original wood grips would be. I think I'll clean it up and see what he'll give me (hopefully more than the low 200's he
first threw out).

#14 ·
If you want to upgrade your home defense KEEP THE Mod. 60 and buy a box of the 125 GR. self defense loads such as Federal or Hornady. Oh, get some standard .38 Spl loads and practice at the range. Those defense loads are too hot for continued use in your Mod. 60

#24 ·
Hey guy's, was trying to get info on a model 60 that was given me a few years back and found this forum. I think this gun might be and early one due to the diamond grips...SR #515766. Very nice gun with very little use. Any help with that SR # would be greatly appreciated. I'll try and post a few picts. Thanks for your help and glad to be on board.....MB

#27 ·
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, Tiger! You'd get better results starting a new thread. Your Model 60 was made in the 1971/72 era. What does the MOD stamp in the yoke area say? Can't really say I ever heard of Norvell Foster. However, engraved guns typically bring a substantial premium 2 to 3 times market value if the engraving is good. Even more if done by a noted engraver. You need to post some pictures so our engraved collectors can comment on your gun.

#33 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Jim and I'm new to the forum. I'm a prior LEO and current correctional Superintendent who takes great joy in practicing my God given, Constitutionally protected 2nd amendment rights.

Recently I acquired two nice older Smith and Wesson 38s. The first is a nickel Model 36 that I dated to 1969/1970. The one I'm struggling with is the Model 60-7 that's a stainless steel snubbie 38. I can't find anything on it, but believe it is newer than my 36.

It has wooden grips, round butt with S&W logo up near the frame. The grips are checkered, but no diamond. The serial # is BPW4***. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What date was it manufactured? Is it original? I have attached a couple of pics.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.