Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guy's, was trying to get info on a model 60 that was given me a few years back and found this forum. I think this gun might be and early one due to the diamond grips...SR #515766. Very nice gun with very little use. Any help with that SR # would be greatly appreciated. I'll try and post a few picts. Thanks for your help and glad to be on board.....MB

·
Registered
19,415 Posts
Around my area, it is difficult to find a M-60 for under $500-$600. I feel that's too much......agree with the $300-$400 estimate. Bob

·
Premium Member
18,261 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, Tiger! You'd get better results starting a new thread. Your Model 60 was made in the 1971/72 era. What does the MOD stamp in the yoke area say? Can't really say I ever heard of Norvell Foster. However, engraved guns typically bring a substantial premium 2 to 3 times market value if the engraving is good. Even more if done by a noted engraver. You need to post some pictures so our engraved collectors can comment on your gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say you got a good deal all around. I'm a little jealous you up and bought not one, but two Model 60's. NICE JOB!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Trying to figure out how old my great uncles old .38 is, got it as a gift when he passed away and wana see if its worth selling to upgrade my home defense. So please help if you can with the serial..all help is mush appreciated

Serial number R1152x'x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, my name is Jim and I'm new to the forum. I'm a prior LEO and current correctional Superintendent who takes great joy in practicing my God given, Constitutionally protected 2nd amendment rights.

Recently I acquired two nice older Smith and Wesson 38s. The first is a nickel Model 36 that I dated to 1969/1970. The one I'm struggling with is the Model 60-7 that's a stainless steel snubbie 38. I can't find anything on it, but believe it is newer than my 36.

It has wooden grips, round butt with S&W logo up near the frame. The grips are checkered, but no diamond. The serial # is BPW4***. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What date was it manufactured? Is it original? I have attached a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,816 Posts
Hi everyone, my name is Jim and I'm new to the forum. I'm a prior LEO and current correctional Superintendent who takes great joy in practicing my God given, Constitutionally protected 2nd amendment rights.

Recently I acquired two nice older Smith and Wesson 38s. The first is a nickel Model 36 that I dated to 1969/1970. The one I'm struggling with is the Model 60-7 that's a stainless steel snubbie 38. I can't find anything on it, but believe it is newer than my 36.

It has wooden grips, round butt with S&W logo up near the frame. The grips are checkered, but no diamond. The serial # is BPW4***. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What date was it manufactured? Is it original? I have attached a couple of pics.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your model 60 likely left the factory in ‘1993. I say likely because the triple alpha serial numbers can be a little tricky to pin down. It looks original and in good shape, including the grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Age of old Model 60 SN#

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your model 60 likely left the factory in ‘1993. I say likely because the triple alpha serial numbers can be a little tricky to pin down. It looks original and in good shape, including the grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, I've been redoing an old Model 60 no dash with a new hammer. I've had it for around 10 or 11 years and never checked it's age.
It has SN# R79##
Can you tell me the age?
Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Is there a Smith & Wesson book about Serial Number production time?
Robert

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Hi, I've been redoing an old Model 60 no dash with a new hammer. I've had it for around 10 or 11 years and never checked it's age.
It has SN# R79##
Can you tell me the age?
Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Is there a Smith & Wesson book about Serial Number production time?
Robert

1969. Standard Catalogue of Smith & Wesson now in 4th edition, available on Amazon & other sellers.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts