Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out how old my great uncles old .38 is, got it as a gift when he passed away and wana see if its worth selling to upgrade my home defense. So please help if you can with the serial..all help is mush appreciated

Serial number R1152x'x

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
That would be from the first year of nproduction for the model, 1969. My brother bought one a few months ago for $300, but that price was more than reasonable. It is a great revolver suitable for duty as home defense but more suitable for personal defense as a CCW. Your uncle was pretty wise buying it, don't undo that.

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
welcome01 to the forum from the Wiregrass, Jake! What length barrel does it have. We like pictures!

I had model 60 with a 2" barrel. Sold it recently for $400. It was a good carry gun.

Reactions: 1CavGrunt

·
Registered
124 Posts
Per the SCSW, the first year of production for the model 60 was 1965, the R serial number series for the model 60 started in 1969, and s/n R1152xx shipped in 1974-75. Also per the SCSW, the model 60 shared an all-numeric s/n series with the Chief Special until 1969, when the R s/n's started.
FWIW I recently bought two model 60's, both in pretty nice condition. A couple months ago, I paid $425 (private party sale) for the first one, a 1979-80 gun, and just last friday, I paid the same $425 out-the-door ($390 + tax) from a LGS for a 1970-73 gun. I feel like I got a fair deal on the private party buy, and a good deal on the gunshop buy- esp since the gunshop gun included the original grips s/n'd to the gun.
So if the OP is gonna sell great-unc's model 60, $400-ish is a fair price depending on condition. But I'd recommend he keep it-- like all Chief Specials, the model 60 is a great little carry gun and they're just not making them anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the forum my model 60 no dash s#ayn9### can someone tell me when it was made.thanx in advance woodyw

hello I,m anewbie on this forum,I have model 60 no dash s#AYN9###.I was wondering if any of you can tell me when it was made?thanx in advance,woodyw

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
Welcome. Don't have the book with me but the 3 letter prefix started in the 80's. likely, yours I'd mid decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
welcome01 to the forum from the Wiregrass! Looks your gun's DOB was July 1987.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recently found a .38 special, Model 60(no dash), 2" barrel that had been missing for at least 3 years. My brother in law is interested in buying the gun, but I wanted to find out what year it was made and about what it is worth. I know that I bought it back in the late 80's brand new. The serial number is AWC786x. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, caniacfan! Your M60 was shipped in July 1987 with that SN. Can't tell you what it is worth without pictures. Condition is everything. I recently sold my M60 for $400.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info Wiregrassguy. I've probably put no more than 100 rounds thru the gun and the last of those was not long after I got it. I was restricted to 38+p ammo
and those things ate my hand up due to the short barrel and the force of the round. I put it aside after those first 50-100 rounds and haven't used it since. I put Pacmyer(sp.)grips on the gun back then and have no idea where the original wood grips would be. I think I'll clean it up and see what he'll give me (hopefully more than the low 200's he
first threw out).

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
Yep, +P is right stout in those little guns. I would think somewhere between $300 and $400 would be a reasonable family price.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you want to upgrade your home defense KEEP THE Mod. 60 and buy a box of the 125 GR. self defense loads such as Federal or Hornady. Oh, get some standard .38 Spl loads and practice at the range. Those defense loads are too hot for continued use in your Mod. 60

·
Registered
124 Posts
Recently found a .38 special, Model 60(no dash), 2" barrel that had been missing for at least 3 years. ....
Curious as to how a handgun goes "missing for at least 3 years"...... taken without asking? Left in your tacklebox? Hid in the woods until the heat died down? ???

·
Registered
315 Posts
Trying to figure out how old my great uncles old .38 is, got it as a gift when he passed away and wana see if its worth selling to upgrade my home defense. So please help if you can with the serial..all help is mush appreciated

Serial number R1152x'x
I would hang on to that little revolver if it were me, that's a great bed stand gun!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts