Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am new, and I thought I could find out on my own, but man this gun doesn't seem to fit any descriptions I can find.
It's a .38 Special.
It is Steel.
Walnut? grips.
5 shooter.
Number on the bottom of the grip is 306xxx
number inside the crane? 5673
Has the SW emblem on the grips.
The barrel HAS been replaced. It says }38 S&W. CTG{
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Shotgun
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Registered
black powder shooter 馃槑
the grips are from 1910/1920. Are you sure its a FIVE shooter? by the look I'd say a M&P model of 1905 4th change from about 1919 or so..
The SN would be correct for that, but it should hold six..

Super Moderator
It looks like a .39 SPecial M&P model of 1905. IF I'm wrong somebody will catch up and make the corrections.
It was shipped somewhere around 1919.

It's made to shoot 158 grain lead wadcutter or semi-wadcutter bullets. It was certainly pre-WWI so no +P ammo thru it.
It should be safe to shoot any standard load lead bullet 38 special ammo. It's available just about everywhere, including Walmart.

If the action isn't sloppy, you should have a pretty good day at the reange shooting it. If in doubt, find a local gunsmith and ask them to give it a quick review to be sure it's safe to shoot. That should only cost $25 or so for a quick checkup.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: 1av8r

Registered
Photos can be deceiving. Initially, I have the same thought as gearchecker, 1905 3rd. But, I'm not seeing any S&W on the frame.
I would certainly have the piece examined by a gunsmith before attempting to shoot it. It's hard to know what kind of mods it had over the years.

Registered
black powder shooter 馃槑
yep.. 1905 Military and Police, 4th change.. the SN puts it just before heat threated cylinders (that was at 316648)..
so, based on the grips, pre-heat treat, 1920 or earlier - but not by much..

since it does not have heat treated cyl, no high pressure (+P) ammo, a 158 GR lead wadcutter or a lead round nose is what you should shoot..
You could shoot metal jackets, but it will wear on the barrel eventually..

They made a LOT of these, and the condition is challenged, so not much monetary value..

For a holster, it is a S&W K frame, plenty around, check Ebay..

Also - if you carry or keep this loaded, make sure hammer is on an empty chamber..

Super Moderator
Recommending a holster is much akin to picking out a purse for the wife.
It can be done, but it takes quite a bit of info swapping to get it right.
Are you looking for a classic police style duty holster? They hang low off the belt and are well designed for quick and easy draw. A standard duty holster will do.

OR would you prefer something that rides higher on the belt line for outdoor carry where the holster won't be bouncing around much.
In that case a pancake or high ride holser will be better suited to the need.

Colr, Black or brown (Light or Dark)
Plain or with texture like the classic Basketweave, or possibly some old fashioned Cowboy style leather stampings.

That's about the gamut.

eBay is a great source for good to excellent condition holsters.
You should look for a K-frame holster that'll hold a 4 or 5" barrel. IT will cost anywhere from $15-200, strictly depending on your taste when the gavel falls. Most holsters I've bought on eBay generally run me around $20-30 after shipping.
If you're like most of us, you'll end up buying at least 2 or 3 holsters until you find the one that's "Just right" I have close to 30 differnt holsters in the closet at this point. Each suits a particular need, and for the most part they're all still keepers.
Another good place to look for holsters are any of the local gun shows. Just ask around for a holster to fit a 5" K-frame Smith. The sellers certainly know what they have, and they're usually really helpful so they can sell one to you.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh, and a little more on the background of the revolver, since so many of you mentioned it. SUPPOSEDLY It comes from a friend of my grandfathers as repayment for a loan. The man he got it from was a police officer in D.C. who retired in the 50's. My grandfather loved this gun and carried it around the farm a lot according to my father. My dad inherited from my grandad when i was maybe 9 or 10. I have shot it a few times, and as sad as it is to say, some of them were +P rounds. The hammer and trigger are still nice and sound, the chambers are still in pretty good shape, and the barrel was replaced by my grandfather who dabbled in gunsmithing.

I do have one more thing to ask you, the masters of S&W Knowlege, can anyone point me to a good tutorial on how to break this monster apart and clean it? and maybe give me a price on restoring it?

Registered
black powder shooter 馃槑
lots of stuff around on you-tube, but I can recommend the DVD "Trigger Job" by Jerry Miculek.
I found it a pretty good resource for how to take apart and put back together a S&W revolver..

Premium Member
MidwayUSA.com has a number of YouTube videos on cleaning and other maintenance. Your gun has little value since the barrel was replaced. Refinishing it will not add value. If you want to renew the bluing, google Blue Wonder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts