Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought An S&W Handgun with this writing on the barrel, no Model # only Serial # on bottom of rail @ the bottom of the Grip. Serial # 252648?
Anyone know what I have?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I expect what you have as a S&W Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th Change. From 1916 as it is only a bit over 10,000 numbers above the first production 4th change guns...

I expect the patent dates on the barrel will have 1914 as the latest date.

It would help a lot if you could post some pix of the gun... the experts (and I don't include myself as an expert) here would then be able offer more information.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
We sure do like pictures {hint, hint}

·
Registered
656 Posts
Any letters in the serial (bet a dollar there is).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is no letters in the serial #. Will get pictures in couple days, loaned my camera out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have changed grips, but still have the Wooden Grips. Does have several Patent dates including 1914, no letters before or after Serial#.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That is indeed a very early example of the 1905 4th M&P. I would only use soft target loads in a gun of this vintage due to the inconsistent steel produced before 1925 or so.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm with Pig on the ammo... whilst I don't think standard Lear Round Nose bullets would hurt the gun at all, I'd still use target loadings in it...

The 148gr Lead Wad Cutter loading is extremely accruate and reliable... the old gun will love such a load.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
HD,

Looks like a pre-war (WWII) M&P.
If you remove those aftermarket grips, you'll see the SN (probably on the underside of the barrel and back of cylinder, also). We can tell you a range, within which, it was shipped.

Mike

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
HD,

Looks to be a ".38 Special Hand Ejector M&P" shipped between 1915 and 1942. I extrapolate by the number and guess circa 1920. That range runs from #241704 through #700000. The metallurgy from that period is "iffy" regarding the hardening of the steel used. Were it mine, and if I considered it a "shooter", I would shoot only mild, lead wadcutter or lead ball ammo. It will not long endure high velocity or +P loads.

It would look better with a set of vintage "service" grips. I am a hater of rubber grips.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts