Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has an old 38 special that he received from his father. I have been looking, but have only managed to narrow it down to maybe 1925 to 1928. I am attaching what little pics he has sent me, and what i know about it. Appears to be a 3 inch barrel, 6 round chamber, original finish and grips. Grips kind of look like the ones i have seen on an old victory model, but i haven't had a chance to take it apart. Serial number 5068XX. No letters in front of the serial number. Just want to confirm the year (as close as possible), and an approximate value. Thanks
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory

Revolver Line Art Cylinder Gas

Revolver Gun accessory Pattern Trigger Gun barrel

Air gun Tints and shades Trigger Everyday carry Electric blue

Automotive tire Textile Hood Rectangle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
17,606 Posts
Barrel is measured from the front of the cylinder to the end of barrel which would I believe make it a 4 inch revolver. Looks like a victory, but the finish looks awful fresh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to know about the barrel measurements. I always assumed it was just the barrel itself that is measured, like on semi autos. It was rarely ever used from what i was told, but i know that's always the case when people are trying to sell it. Does show holater wear, and a lot more on the cylinder

·
Premium Member
22,730 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I believe the gun was assembled from spare parts. Please look under the barrel on the extractor flat for a serial number and on the rear face of the cylinder for a serial number. The serials under the barrel, on the cylinder and on the butt of the gun should match for it to be in original configuration. The numbers inside the yoke cut with the cylinder open are not serials.

Here's why I say it is assembled from spare parts. The barrel has a front sight that didn't get implemented until the 1950's. The extractor rod knurled end is also from that era or later and is likely left hand threaded. If the frame serial from the butt is 5068XX, it is from the 1920's and that squares with the single line Made in USA, the small logo on the left side and the long throw action. The finish is Parkerized and S&W did not do that on commercial guns. This gun is not a Victory and that is the only time S&W put a phosphate like finish on their guns. The grips on it ARE from WWII. There will be a serial number stamped inside the right grip panel. It most likely will be different from the one on the butt.

Someone wanted a S&W revolver to look like a WWII Victory and it is close to being correct. However, the discrepancies stand out to an educated eye. I'd put it in the $300-400 range as a shooter if the action functions as it should.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts