Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I have been a long time viewer but this is my first post, so sorry if I mess something up.

I have been going through my dad's collection helping him with some research. The one that has me stumped is a S&W 38 Special CTG. I know that it was a carry gun for someone in the past and that the barrel was cut shorter by a gun smith but I can not tell what else was changed or what year it is from. The serial number is 410072, and matches on the cylender and cylander frame. Inside on the cylander arm there is another number 38791 that is also stamped on the inside of the frame from the cylander arm.

I have looked at a lot of posts and pics but cant find one that matches this one. Can any provide any insite on what looks custom and the year it was born?

PS I know it looks rough, but I love the charater this has. You can tell someone used it.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Mid 1920's. Very tastful alteration using the original grips. It falls after the start of hardening cylinders (good). Some would counsel: avoiding jacketed bullets, carrying with the hammer resting on an empty chamber and of course no +P's. A nice piece, I favor 3"-ers, so the guy was a genius in my book. It is a 1905 Change 4. On the crane, in the frame recess and inside the sideplate are "soft part assembly numbers", on the barrel, cylinder and butt are the serial number.

Good post and welcome aboard.

Waidmann

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lovin.

Going by the Serial # 410072

I believe what you have is a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905-4th Change

Serial # range 241704-1000000 with 758,296 manufactured c. 1915-1942

Heat treated cylinders began at Serial # 316648.

Information from Standard Catolog of Smith & Wesson 3rd Edition.

Regards,

FlaRon weiweinp

Reactions: Waidmann

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
This is my first post and you may be able to help me with ammunition for my S & W revolver. I've taken the gun with me to Cabella's and they sold me 100 rounds of the ammo shown in the photo. Of course it's too big for the chamber. The gun is a 38 special 5 shot, R30124, MOD 32-1, 38 CTG. From another member I noticed his gun looked similar to mine and you were very thorough in your answer. Can you help me with the correct ammunition to purchase and any insight as to where to get it? Thank you for any assistance. Annie

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
That appears to be what is also called a terrier and is not chambered to shoot 38 special. It shoots the way shorter 38 smith and wesson ammo. Go back and tell them you need 38 smith and wesson ammo.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Hello Lovin and welcome to the forum.

Waidmann's steering you right.............and I agree with you, that piece has a whole lot of "character".

Best Regards,

Geezer

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Annie,

Welcome!
I believe your model 32 (what the "I" frame .38/.32 Terrier became with the advent of model numbers in 1957) is chambered for .38 S&W, not .38 special. The .38 is a shorter, thicker (stubbier) round, and, as you have learned, will not chamber the longer .38 special.
The serial # will be found n the bottom of the butt. The dash-1 is the beginning of production on the slightly larger "J" frame size and began in 1961. "R" serial prefix began in 1969 and the model was discontinued in 1974.

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
That appears to be what is also called a terrier and is not chambered to shoot 38 special. It shoots the way shorter 38 smith and wesson ammo. Go back and tell them you need 38 smith and wesson ammo.
Agreed.....................38 S&W, not .38 Special.

Welcome to the forum, Annie.

Regards,

Geezer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts