Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inherited from my Dad - Serial number C858699

Curious of the age and model - I don't have the catalog.

What ammo do I need and where can I get old guns cleaned up?

·
Super Moderator
32,958 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The catalog puts that as 1966 - 1967. Just any .38 Special ammo providing you can find some should be fine and for cleaning here we just clean up on our own.

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
You can get a cleaning kit at Walmart. Ammo right now, is tight and has been since May.

·
Registered
18,261 Posts
It would help on cleaning advice if we knew if gun was blued or nickel or Stainless as cleaning techniques differ for each. Also best if you clean yourself. Then you know everything about your gun.

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Inside the crane/yoke area will have the model number stamped on it

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Looks like it could be a Model 10 in very good condition.

If it was cleaned normally after use, there is little to do but apply some preserving oil (like spray RemOil or products from Hoppes) and wipe it down with a clean cloth.

If the action needs cleaning, you should probably seek a gunsmith experienced in working on S&W revolvers instead of trying to open it up yourself.

If the cylinders and barrel are dirty after being shot without cleaning, the approach is reasonably simple. Videos can help guide you: Walmart and sporting good stores will sell you a cleaning kit with the proper rods, cleaning chemicals and brushes.

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the additional info. The holster my dad kept it in is an original WWII M1916 Boyt US 1942 dated leather holster - kinda cool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, it isn't in the holster now - just mentioning that it came with the gun is all. It has been stashed in a drawer and not fired for at least 40 years...

·
Premium Member
18,876 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The holster works because its predecessor was the same gun but with a phophate finish. S&W has been making them since 1899. To keep your leather supple, order some Blackrock Leather N Rich.

·
Registered
3 Posts

What ammo d

What ammo do I need and where can I get old guns cleaned up?
38 special 158 GR LSWC--- I WOULD NOT USE PLUS P AMMO
o I need and where can I get old guns cleaned u

·
Registered
3 Posts
38 special - 158 gr LSWC or if you can get them LSWCHP would be my choice ------- I would not use plus p ammo in this gun!!!!! I own several model 10,s and carried a model 10-8 (heavy barrel) rated for plus P ammo for over 20 years. Nothing fancy but great reliable guns.

·
Premium Member
18,876 Posts
Any Victory revolver will easily handle + P ammo. Current + P ammo is loaded to a slightly lower spec than the military ball 38 Special in World War II. You don't have no problem shooting anything you can buy from a manufacturer.

Guy

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
If it's been sitting for 40 years, I'd suggest taking the grips off (loosen the screw and tap on the frame to remove- Do Not Pry it off) Then spray some Breakfree CLP into the action. Really spray it up. Spray up behind the long spring under the grips, in the little slot above the trigger etc and let drip drain. Put a drop of oil on the ejector rod in the front, and another drop under the ejector star on the rod in the back of the cylinder. Do not remove the sideplate.
Give the outside a wipe down with an oily rag then wipe dry with a clean rag and wipe out the bore and cylinder chambers with an oily patch followed by a dry one.

Following shooting, clean the bore and chambers - you do not have to remove the sideplate or cylinder for regular cleaning. The video above is good, but overkill for those not familiar with the inner working of revolvers.

This is a good basic post shooting cleaning video:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts