Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is any explanation on what exactly this firearm is it would be much appreciated. The name caliber serial number and barrel markings are in the title. I'm unsure of the barrel length but it looks as if there was a secondary bore on the cylinders. The photos attached is the only information I have about it. Does someone know the year it was manufactured and where it may have been. It is in horrible condition and has some major gumming in the cylinder and also the hammer. It looks as though it has aftermarket emblems in the grip but it looks as though they are walnut.much appreciate any help
Wood Peripheral Musical instrument Input device Eyewear
Gesture Tints and shades Sculpture Art Metal
Wood Tints and shades Automotive design Bumper Rim
Helmet Wood Sleeve Handgun holster Revolver
Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Wood Peripheral Musical instrument Input device Eyewear
Gesture Tints and shades Sculpture Art Metal
Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Premium Member
22,746 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Alex! You have a .38 Victory, British Service Revolver made during WWII likely late 1944 or early 1945. The V preceding the numbers is part of the serial number. The P under the barrel is the military acceptance stamp. It once had a butt swivel and lanyard ring but the mounting hole has been filled. It was reamed for the longer and slimmer .38 Special cartridge as you note. Originally, it was chambered for .38 S&W which is a shorter, fatter and less powerful cartridge. You can shoot both cartridges but .38 Special casings will swell and may crack. This is not unsafe but cracking ruins the casings for reloading and they may be hard to extract. Originally, the BSR came with a 5" barrel and many were shortened to 4" and 2" for the civilian market. The grips are not original and date from after 1968. Values run in the $400-500 range.

· Premium Member
13,174 Posts
I'm going with late 1944. I own one pretty close to yours; s/n V650093. It shipped Aug 1944. Mine has a 5 inch barrel are remains a .38SW; never converted to a .38 special.

Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts