Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking for any information on a S&W 38 caliber Combat Masterpiece Pistol with a 4" barrel, Serial Number K34818. My grandfather just passed away and I stumbled across this information on the back of a card from 1953 that appointed him Montgomery County, Kansas Special Deputy Sheriff. Is there any way to track where this pistol might be or what might have happened to it? Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Probably the best you will be able to do is to get a letter from S&W that will name where it was shipped from the factory. Are you sure of the serial number? I ask because they didn't start making the CM until 1949 and the serial number you gave is right in the middle of the 1948 serial number range which ran from K18732-K73121.

Look at the underside of the barrel and see if the serial number is stamped where it is milled flat for the ejector rod. In addition to the barrel, the serial numbers of early post war Smiths are stamped on the rear of the cylinder. The numbers that are stamped inside the crane are not relevant as they are merely soft fitting numbers designed to keep parts together on the assembly line.

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
It sounds like he doesn't have this revolver and is trying to find out where it is.

If that's the question, the odds of ever finding this particular revolver are beyond slim to none.
If it's been "registered" somewhere, there's no way the department holding those records will release it to a civilian.

Reactions: huntershooter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I figured it was a longshot, but I thought I'd try regardless. We don't have the revolver in our family anymore. I just have a card with my grandfather's writing on the back of it with the serial number and description of the revolver. I called S&W and gave them the serial number and I was told that it was made in 1948. I'll try to get a history of it from them to see if I can learn anything. I appreciate all your quick responses! Thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! I just searched the S&W Collector's Association database and that SN did not return any information. There are various collectors who maintain their own databases of S&W revolvers. You might ask at Smith & Wesson Forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts