Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,752 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That looks like a .38 S&W British Service Revolver from the shoulders in the cylinder chambers. What is the caliber stamp on the right side of the barrel...38 S&W CTG? Also, take sharper pictures as close as possible to the proof stamps on the left side of the frame. One looks like a broad arrow which indicates a military release from service. Look under the barrel and inside the cylinder window for an importer's stamp. It may be very small or crudely stamped.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
The BV, BP, NP formula for marking indicates Birmingham prior to 1955 (when it entered civilian life). Look for .38 .767 and give Guy the brass ring.

Everthing WWII tends to bring a premium but this one is rough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That looks like a .38 S&W British Service Revolver from the shoulders in the cylinder chambers. What is the caliber stamp on the right side of the barrel...38 S&W CTG? Also, take sharper pictures as close as possible to the proof stamps on the left side of the frame. One looks like a broad arrow which indicates a military release from service. Look under the barrel and inside the cylinder window for an importer's stamp. It may be very small or crudely stamped.
S&W CTG is on it. It has a B5214 stamped in front of cylinder.

·
Premium Member
20,752 Posts
S&W CTG is on it. It has a B5214 stamped in front of cylinder.
Yep, a BSR. This one would also be one of the earliest production I have seen. It may have been in the batch that was supposed to go to South Africa but got diverted to England. The grips are not original as they should have been silver medallion walnut service grips when that one shipped. What is the serial number stamped on the back of the right grip panel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, a BSR. This one would also be one of the earliest production I have seen. It may have been in the batch that was supposed to go to South Africa but got diverted to England. The grips are not original as they should have been silver medallion walnut service grips when that one shipped. What is the serial number stamped on the back of the right grip panel?

·
Premium Member
20,752 Posts
Is there a V stamped on the butt of the gun before the serial number? Also, what is stamped under the barrel on the extractor rod flat?

Reactions: Absalom

·
Registered
312 Posts
The photo of the cylinder shows no modification of the holes for .38 S&W Special, so it is still chambered for the older .38 S&W cartridge (shorter and slightly larger in diameter than .38 Special).

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
With that serial number it doesn't make any sense. Those stocks are not from the 1920's. S/N 6078xx with original stocks shipped in 1929. Would like to see a better (unblurred, clearer) shot of the s/n. I own a .38SW Victory that shipped in 1944, s/n V650093.

Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Everyday carry

Reactions: Cliff

·
Premium Member
20,752 Posts
It is definitely a World War II British Service Revolver. My bet is it there is a V on the butt of the gun that is hidden by the lanyard ring. It was not made in the 1920s because I can see the large logo stamp on the side plate. That wasn't done until after 1937. It makes no sense for it to be a pre-V gun with the plain military stocks that number to the gun.

Reactions: Absalom

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Check those grips again and see if there isn't a "V" close by the s/n.

Wood Musical instrument Rectangle String instrument Wood stain

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
While there are identifiable trends in WWII S&W's there are no absolute rules, none. We make assertions based on trends, timelines and generally accepted observations. Sometimes we see things that do not quite fit.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Given the overall condition of the gun, I believe it served in the Indian subcontinent (India or Pakistan) after WW II and received the black paint “refinish” common there, which was later removed upon re-import.

I’m also in the V camp. The butt picture is blurry, so I’m not 100% sure, but I believe the number matches the Victory orientation, not the pre-Victory; the latter was to the left of the swivel as you read it, the Victory to the right.

·
Premium Member
20,752 Posts
Are you certain it’s not 908x09? The 5 would be the only one that would need a different explanation. And hand stamping dies can create odd effects.
Not likely, Burk. At that number, there should be an "S" before the 9 and the lanyard ring would be gone with the swivel hole filled.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts