Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question
Just acquired a 38/44 with number 55363 under butt and in yoke area, can someone tell me when it was made? It is in good shape also curious on value. Thanks

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Late 30's for the date. We'd really need a picture to estimate value. It's all condition, condition, condition (helps if it has a box)

Love 38/44's they're my favorite N frame.

·
Premium Member
20,698 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Are you sure about the serial number being in the yoke area? If you read the serial on the bottom of the gun butt, that is the official serial. At the time your gun was made, S&W did not stamp the serial number in the yoke area...only assembly numbers used during manufacture. They would have stamped the same number on the grip frame but not on the bottom of the butt. Some pictures would help us out.

·
Premium Member
20,698 Posts
The grips appear to be modern replicas. Would you post pictures of the right side of the revolver and the serial number on the butt?

Reactions: combat

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Are you sure about the serial number being in the yoke area? If you read the serial on the bottom of the gun butt, that is the official serial. At the time your gun was made, S&W did not stamp the serial number in the yoke area...only assembly numbers used during manufacture. They would have stamped the same number on the grip frame but not on the bottom of the butt. Some pictures would help us out.
Yes its there 55363 only difference is there is a D or B in there as well, does that help at all?
The grips appear to be modern replicas. Would you post pictures of the right side of the revolver and the serial number on the butt?

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Gonna disagree with Kaboomer about the reblue, the stampings seems really sharp. Wiregrassguy has the right idea thought about the replacement grips. (although they look very nice). I'd put it at around $1000 +/-. Nice Piece.
Do contact the website Guy posted above- the site owner is the 38/44 guru.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gonna disagree with Kaboomer about the reblue, the stampings seems really sharp. Wiregrassguy has the right idea thought about the replacement grips. (although they look very nice). I'd put it at around $1000 +/-. Nice Piece.
Do contact the website Guy posted above- the site owner is the 38/44 guru.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.