Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,071 Posts
A picture of the top of the barrel and rear sight leaf would settle the debate over model. The HP did not come with a 3-1/2" barrel. Only available on the M27. The HP was either 4" or 6".

Reactions: zeekiebourne

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very nice! I have a couple of these pre 27s (3.5" and 5") and I really like them. On a bad day, they're still worth $800 too! Keep it and shoot it. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
2 pins holding the ramp in place, 1 pin on the front sight blade. That all looks legit. Yep, a pre-27.
I see in the original post it is mention it belonged to a Patrolman, hence a bit of confusion as to whether or not the gun was a Highway Patrolman
Thanks to all for helping me finally close this loose end of mine, pre 27 it is and I love the heft of this revolver!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Very nice! I have a couple of these pre 27s (3.5" and 5") and I really like them. On a bad day, they're still worth $800 too! Keep it and shoot it. Best of luck to you!
Yes
Yes, this is a unique revolver, a hand gun you just don't see everyday. No sloppy ness in the cylinder at lock up. I like the fact that I can shoot 38 sp as well as 357 mag. Thanks for checking out my gun !

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm going to remove screws that are buggard up and down some Dremel and file work on the heads of screws.
Leave the screws as-is. You'll only remove the plating and make them look worse. This is a refinished gun, and is almost 60 years old. "Buggered" screws are part of its character. Unless you plan to replace parts of the action that are broken, no reason to remove the side plate anyway, so the screws should get little to no use. You can clean the action without having to remove the side plate. I'd be proud to own that gun just like it is, and I've got many in much better shape, but not nearly as old.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Even refinished that is a nice pistol if the mechanics and bore are good. The dead giveaway that it is refinished is the nickel hammer and trigger. Even the rear sight is nickel. If it shoots good though that would be a fine carry gun. Does it say Highway Patrolman on the right side of the barrel?
It could also be a pre-Model 27 3 1/2"....maybe a registered magnum?

·
Registered
358 Posts
My vote is pre 27. 3 screws on the side plate and should have on screw in front of the trigger. 4 screws are pre 27`s. Very nice revolver. A general Patton for sure!
Patton's was even earlier, a Registered Magnum. He ordered his in 1935, one of the earliest owners of the model. Here's a picture of the order, and another one of his revolver, just above the one that was made for the film Patton. The ivory grips were put on his gun in 1940. Note the grip screw on his gun is lower than that of the copy; he ordered the gun made that way because he intended to have the ivory grips made with his initials centered on the grip, so the screw was placed lower than usual.
Handwriting Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern

Light Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

21 - 29 of 29 Posts