Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some information on a S&W 357 mag that I bought several years ago from an estate. Markings on bottom of frame under butt , S 114761. Cylinder is recessed, barrel is pinned , finish appears to be nickel or stainless maybe chrome? Barrel around 3 inches. Was told it was a patrolman's, There is NO model number just serial numbers and all match. Not sure how to upload pics yet . Thanks in advance for any information. Daniel Bourne Enterprise Alabama

·
Premium Member
22,359 Posts
Hey Daniel! I'm in Cowarts on the east side of Dothan. Put your pictures on your computer where you can find them, then click on the Insert Image icon below the text box. It's the one to the left of the camera. You can either drag and drop the pictures into the text box or you can click in the dialog box and navigate to the folder, select and upload. What you have is what S&W called The .357 Magnum and after 1957 it became the Model 27...unless it also has Highway Patrolman stamped on the right side of the barrel. It is likely a M27 plated in nickel. It was made in 1954.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Daniel! I'm in Cowarts on the east side of Dothan. Put your pictures on your computer where you can find them, then click on the Insert Image icon below the text box. It's the one to the left of the camera. You can either drag and drop the pictures into the text box or you can click in the dialog box and navigate to the folder, select and upload. What you have is what S&W called The .357 Magnum and after 1957 it became the Model 27...unless it also has Highway Patrolman stamped on the right side of the barrel. It is likely a M27 plated in nickel. It was made in 1954.
Thanks for help, I'm trying pics now

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Even refinished that is a nice pistol if the mechanics and bore are good. The dead giveaway that it is refinished is the nickel hammer and trigger. Even the rear sight is nickel. If it shoots good though that would be a fine carry gun. Does it say Highway Patrolman on the right side of the barrel?

·
Registered
17,169 Posts
I believe what you have there is a refinished Highway Patrolman that has had a barrel cut and plating in nickel or chrome. The HP became the Model 28 in 1957.
Why do you think it is a cut down HP? It looks correct for a 3.5 inch model 27 to me, but I can't make out the stamping on the right side of the barrel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even refinished that is a nice pistol if the mechanics and bore are good. The dead giveaway that it is refinished is the nickel hammer and trigger. Even the rear sight is nickel. If it shoots good though that would be a fine carry gun. Does it say Highway Patrolman on the right side of the barrel?
No on highway patrolman, gun is very tight for it's age. I don't believe the barrel has been cut. Finish on bore and where sight meet is perfect. I carry when deer and turkey hunting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why do you think it is a cut down HP? It looks correct for a 3.5 inch model 27 to me, but I can't make out the stamping on the right side of the barrel
The bore / crown and front sight show no cutting or tampering. Perfect, no highway patrolman markings. Thanks for thoughts on my gun . I carry when deer and turkey hunting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would like some information on a S&W 357 mag that I bought several years ago from an estate. Markings on bottom of frame under butt , S 114761. Cylinder is recessed, barrel is pinned , finish appears to be nickel or stainless maybe chrome? Barrel around 3 inches. Was told it was a patrolman's, There is NO model number just serial numbers and all match. Not sure how to upload pics yet . Thanks in advance for any information. Daniel Bourne Enterprise Alabama
Hood Automotive lighting Dishware Serveware Drinkware
Banana Plant Fruit Banana family Fish
Audio equipment Musical instrument Wood Auto part Metal
Hood Automotive lighting Dishware Serveware Drinkware

Banana Plant Fruit Banana family Fish

Audio equipment Musical instrument Wood Auto part Metal

·
Registered
17,169 Posts
2 pins holding the ramp in place, 1 pin on the front sight blade. That all looks legit. Yep, a pre-27.
I see in the original post it is mention it belonged to a Patrolman, hence a bit of confusion as to whether or not the gun was a Highway Patrolman

Reactions: combat
1 - 20 of 29 Posts