Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The model 28 Highway Patrolman was the budget version of the model 27. It came with magnas, though you certainly can put target grips on one. Gun shows and Ebay or this forums classifieds would be the best places to look
Jonesy814 is right. Unless you can get yourself to a gun show or a shop with a lot of vintage S&W parts, your best bet is eBay... and I say that because sellers on eBay tend to post a lot of pix so it's easy to pick out the vintage, finish and condition you want. Vintage targets in top condition don't come cheap, but I feel they are worth it. :)

If you are in or near Western MA, there is a place called Guns & Gun Parts. I get a lot of my vintage S&W stocks, parts and magazines there. Highly recommended! (y)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Where can I purchase new or used original S & W target grips for my model 28 Highway Patrol revolver? Was given a really nice one but the grips were replacement and not up to the quality of the pistol.
First you need to know what kind of stocks you want on that revolver. As mentioned, the Model 28 commonly shipped with Magnas but could have come with the Target styles also. Magnas come in two varieties, both checkered but one has a plain diamond surface around the screw and the other is checkered up to the screw.Depending on the age of your revolver, one or the other is appropriate. If you provide the serial number an approximate guess can be made as to what might have shipped.

Someone else can describe the many varieties of Target stocks. They all are alike to me, too big for comfort.

Standard checkering

My preference.

Kevin

·
Registered
422 Posts
I put a set of Smith target grips on my 28-2 and really like the improved (to me) feel. I found the set I used at a small LGS. I think I got them for about $40! The point is, look around locally and ask if you don't see them displayed somewhere. Gun shops are notorious for having cardboard boxes of bits and pieces stashed under the counter.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's not a model number. It is called an assembly number because it was used during manufacturing to keep soft fitted parts together during manufacturing. You will see that number inside the yoke cut and on the back of the sideplate because these parts were separated during application of the final finish and had to be put back together after finishing since they were fitted to each other. The model number became Mod 28 in 1957 and may be stamped inside the yoke cut if your gun was made after that.

You can find suitable grips for it on eBay. It takes N frame, square butt sized grips.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's not a model number. It is called an assembly number because it was used during manufacturing to keep soft fitted parts together during manufacturing. You will see that number inside the yoke cut and on the back of the sideplate because these parts were separated during application of the final finish and had to be put back together after finishing since they were fitted to each other. The model number became Mod 28 in 1957 and may be stamped inside the yoke cut if your gun was made after that.

You can find suitable grips for it on eBay. It takes N frame, square butt sized grips.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Any N frame square butt grips will fit, just pick the style you like. Prices vary greatly on the different types of target grips. Personally I like the magna grips that my two 28-2's came with over target grips, they feel perfect for my hands. I use magnas on all my pistols when I carry them, I take the targets off till the gun goes back in the safe.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,973 Posts
I have a five screw pre-28 The Highway Patrolman (lettered 5/54, box, tools, all matching).
I have also owned many other P&R Model 28's. All had Magna's, but you could order a Target stock. Either way, it is a cool revolver in S&W history,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts