Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve inherited a handgun and am hoping I can get some help identifying the year it was made and possibly a value. It was pretty badly rusted which I have removed but it does have some pitting remaining. On the barrel is stamped:

Smith & Wesson 32
32 Long CTG
Smith & Wesson Springfield M USA
Pat’d March 27 94 Aug 4 92 Dec 22 96 Oct 8 01 Dec 17 01 Feb 6 06 Sept 14 09

The SN on the base of the grip is: 206193

I’m trying to decide if it’s worth putting any money into to further restore it. Any info you can provide is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
It appears you have a 32 Hand Ejector. Someone smarter than I will be along shortly to provide details like correct name, age etc.

I can tell you that refinishing will not be profitable. A refinished gun loses value. It would be better for you to take a bit of cloth, a mild abrasive and some elbow grease and polish it up a bit.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! These .32 HEs are fun guns to shoot. As Kevin says, no refinish will give you any value. It's a shooter and any refinish will pretty it up for cosmetic purposes. It was made in the 1915-1917 era.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Welcome to the forum. They are fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Kevin & Guy gave you good advice. A refinish on this old 32 would be a money pit. If you
want to refinish it to pretty it up that is your choice. Either way, keep it and shoot it.
By the way, good job on the clean-up.
Cliff

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
That is a nice old 32 and I agree that it is a fun caliber to shoot. A little bit of Flitz metal polish or something similar should improves its looks.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts