Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have my granddad’s old revolver and I don’t know too much about it except it’s a .32. I’m sure it’s not worth much money but that’s not my concern (it’s important to me no matter what). What I have read is that I/people should not refinish these old guns. I’m not sure about that but I would like to restore it. What I really want is to know are there replacement pearl grips or the gold S&W medallions available? One side of the grips is broken and both medallions are missing. Any assistance would be so greatly appreciated.
Thank you, KC. (3 pics attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I believe your grips are pearl and they are brittle. I believe I frame grips can be substituted. The first picture are 38 S&W the second picture is 32 S&W if you compare the front of the cylinder to the trigger guard 38's are slightly front 32's are slightly to the rear. Hope that helps original grips could get pricey and the value of the gun sentiment value is much higher than the monetary value

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe your grips are pearl and they are brittle. I believe I frame grips can be substituted. The first picture are 38 S&W the second picture is 32 S&W if you compare the front of the cylinder to the trigger guard 38's are slightly front 32's are slightly to the rear. Hope that helps original grips could get pricey and the value of the gun sentiment value is much higher than the monetary value
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant pearl....geez! I have no idea why I said ivory. Lol Thank you again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think a J frame grip could work? Btw, I never knew anything about “I”, “J”, “N”, “F”...etc grips. You’ve been most helpful!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
That is definitely a 38 Double action, not a 32. I do believe that I frame grips will fit. The I frame evolved into the newer J frame in the early 1950s. J frame grips are a little longer.
You can search Ebay for original 38 DA or I frame grips. Pearls will show up on occasion but are pricey. The ones with the Gold S&W inlays will likely go for way over $100 - 200.
Or look here: Home - Vintage Gun Grips - Reproduction Pistol Grips, Buttplates and Grip Caps.
Look like they run around $40 plus another $16 for the screw and escutcheons.
I give EBay a try for a while.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts