Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .32-20 that seems to have a serial number outside the range of what I have seen posted and in a book. Please help me identify what I have. It is a 5 screw, most bluing gone, nice walnut grips, and no major damage. It shoots well and is relatively tight. Is it a 1905 Model? I'm new to the forum, but have read a lot of forum posts through various searches. Have learned a lot so far, but I a bit stuck with this one. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
What's the serial number on the bottom of the barrel say?

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It looks like someone stamped a 9 on the end of the SN because S&W only made around 140000 of the 32-20. These numbers were roll stamped and it's unlikely numbers would be out of line. Also, look on the rear face of the cylinder for the SN.

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
Well, that's even more confusing. Someone punched out the serial number on the cylinder and modified the serials on the barrel and frame. All I can say it is a SN of neither. The numbers under the barrel are too large to be factory stamped. And there is no B to indicate a blue finish which is typical of pre-WWII blued guns. Presuming the barrel, frame and cylinder are original (assembly numbers inside the yoke and on the grip frame will confirm), It's an early Model 1905 because the caliber stamp is "32 Winchester CTG." Later S&W switched to "32 WCF CTG" then in 1922 to "32-20 CTG."

Perhaps whoever did this did not know about the serial stamped on the back of the yoke arm and under the extractor star. Take a flashlight and look through the cylinder chambers to read the SN on the yoke arm. Then, push out the extractor star and read the SN stamped on the back of the star. Chances are those are the original serial.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Faux S/N? Oh,oh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that's even more confusing. Someone punched out the serial number on the cylinder and modified the serials on the barrel and frame. All I can say it is a SN of neither. The numbers under the barrel are too large to be factory stamped. And there is no B to indicate a blue finish which is typical of pre-WWII blued guns. Presuming the barrel, frame and cylinder are original (assembly numbers inside the yoke and on the grip frame will confirm), It's an early Model 1905 because the caliber stamp is "32 Winchester CTG." Later S&W switched to "32 WCF CTG" then in 1922 to "32-20 CTG."

Perhaps whoever did this did not know about the serial stamped on the back of the yoke arm and under the extractor star. Take a flashlight and look through the cylinder chambers to read the SN on the yoke arm. Then, push out the extractor star and read the SN stamped on the back of the star. Chances are those are the original serial.
Both the grips are marked K inside, the right grip has a number, 740618. I must have a Frankengun on my hands.

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
Both the grips are marked K inside, the right grip has a number, 740618. I must have a Frankengun on my hands.
That's not surprising as the grips are much later modern grips. Magnas didn't come along until 1935 and your gun was made by 1930. I don't think you have a Frankengun, but I do believe it was wiped and restamped to cover some nefarious activity. It was probably stolen or involved in a crime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts