Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy to the forum!
I've see several stories like mine, so I thought I would share and see if the forum can help me find out more info.
Several years before my dad passed, he gave me this S&W 22 revolver. He told me that his uncle had given it to him when he was a kid. He didn't know any more info about the gun. I have no idea how old the gun is.
The gun needs a good cleaning, but I did swab out the barrel and cylinder and puts some rounds through it. Shoots great although I'd need to shoot more to improve accuracy, but don't really see myself shooting it much if at all. I would like to eventually give it to my grandson and maybe he will pass it on down the line.
I've attached some pictures of the gun and its markings. I would greatly appreciate any info that anyone can provide.
Thanks!

S&W 22LR CTG #1.jpg S&W 22LR CTG #2.jpg S&W 22LR CTG #3.jpg S&W 22LR CTG #4.jpg S&W 22LR CTG #5.jpg

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Hey RS,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Fine Family Heirloom...(Flat Latch) on your first post!

Remove the grips (carefully) and put some ATF on a Shop Rag. Give it a good wipe down....

Then.......teach the GrandKids to Shoot with it!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Welcome from Iowa.
I think it's a law that every S&W collector has to have one of those. :p It's called the K-22.
Tell us the serial number from the bottom of the butt and we can tell you the year it was made.
Shoot the heck out of it, since that's what it was made for.
I'm going out with my daughter, her husband and my son tomorrow and one of the revolvers we're gonna shoot is my late Father's K-22.
Jim

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
That is NOT a K-22. It is a Pre Model 35 a.k.a. Model of 1953 Target. It's built on the I (later J) Frame. Great little guns! They're running $1000-$1500 these days.
Here's mine:

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Going by serial # yours left the factory between 1955-57. After 1957 it was re-named the Model 35 & would be marked that on the frame behind the cylinder. Excellent gun & keepsake!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is NOT a K-22. It is a Pre Model 35 a.k.a. Model of 1953 Target. It's built on the I (later J) Frame. Great little guns! They're running $1000-$1500 these days.
Here's mine:
Thanks, it's great to see another gun like the one I have. I always wondered why the grips are so small, but it isn't an issue when shooting the gun. I see that yours doesn't have the trigger shoe that is on mine, which I figure is an aftermarket add. It gives more consistent placement of my finger pad on the trigger, which seems like a good thing especially when shooting in double action. But it does limit the room in front of the trigger. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! You might prefer some J frame target grips that extend below the grip frame to aid in gripping the handle. Folks warn against using a holster with a trigger shoe because the shoe can extend outside the trigger guard. It may catch on the holster lip and discharge a loaded gun.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! You might prefer some J frame target grips that extend below the grip frame to aid in gripping the handle. Folks warn against using a holster with a trigger shoe because the shoe can extend outside the trigger guard. It may catch on the holster lip and discharge a loaded gun.
Just make sure you keep the original grips. I never noticed accuracy problems with the stock grips either.
I'm with Guy on removing the shoe, it's aftermarket and with guns I've shot with them, I never thought they were worth the bother. But YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going by serial # yours left the factory between 1955-57. After 1957 it was re-named the Model 35 & would be marked that on the frame behind the cylinder. Excellent gun & keepsake!
Thanks for the info on how old the gun is. Looking back, I really wish that I would have tried to find out more info from my dad. He was a small town police officer most of his life (which made for some pretty interesting traffic stops when I was in High School....I never got a ticket, just a stern talking to and the dreaded "Now go on home and tell you dad that I pulled you over." That was far worse than being put in handcuffs and taken to jail, although my dad always made it clear if I ever did get taken down to the station, I would be spending some extended time in a jail cell so that I could understand the error of my youth!). Sadly, I'm glad that my dad isn't around to see how disrespectful a lot of people are toward law enforcement in the news lately, especially by politicians. Sorry, I got off the subject.

My dad had this gun in his gun safe for as long as I can remember, but we never took it out to shot it. My dad would have been in his late teens when the gun was manufactured, but I'm not sure which uncle gave it to him and why. Doesn't really matter. It's a great gun and it was my dad's. Now if I can just get my grandson away from the stupid gaming console long enough to teach him how to shoot it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've attached a couple of picture of the holster that the gun has always been in. It is from Brauer Brothers Manufacturing in St. Louis (??). The holster is made so that the trigger (and shoe which does extend outside the trigger guard), is uncovered on the outside. Not sure if the holster was bought because of the trigger shoe or if it just came that way. I don't plan on getting in any fast-draw shoot outs with my 22 strapped to my leg, but based on the feedback on this forum, I do agree that I should start taking it to the range and shooting it more. A nice gun shouldn't just sit in back of the gun safe!

S&W 22LR CTG Holster #1.jpg S&W 22LR CTG Holster #2.jpg S&W 22LR CTG Holster #3.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
Ah, I probably shouldn't say this since your gun has been stored for so long in a holster, but it should not be left in a holster. Holster leather can absorb moisture and cause surface rust...for what it's worth. :) The holster was made that way but not because of the trigger shoe. It is just that particular style.

Reflecting on your alias...were you a bubblehead or did you just like the movie?

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, I probably shouldn't say this since your gun has been stored for so long in a holster, but it should not be left in a holster. Holster leather can absorb moisture and cause surface rust...for what it's worth. :) The holster was made that way but not because of the trigger shoe. It is just that particular style.

Reflecting on your alias...were you a bubblehead or did you just like the movie?
I like the movie (really the book more), but I am also definitely a bubblehead.
Joined when I was 19 and retired a couple years ago after just over 35 years of service (35 years, 2 months, and 17 days to be exact not that I was counting!).
Were you a skimmer?

Good points about the holster...I need to clean both the pistol and holster up good, then I'll start storing the separately.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
I like the movie (really the book more), but I am also definitely a bubblehead.
Joined when I was 19 and retired a couple years ago after just over 35 years of service (35 years, 2 months, and 17 days to be exact not that I was counting!).
Were you a skimmer?

Good points about the holster...I need to clean both the pistol and holster up good, then I'll start storing the separately.
Thanks!
Cool! #1 Son is an MMA on the New Hampshire. :)

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
RO- hours of boredom punctuated by moments of abject terror. 🤣

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
RO- hours of boredom punctuated by moments of abject terror. 🤣
You should have seen the captain's face when we lost rod control and the EOOW told Conn to "Do Not Change Turns!" Ah, the stories...but we're hijacking this thread. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts