Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 22lr has fired about 5000 round and yesterday after 48 rounds were shot the slide jammed in the closed position, after a lot of force it released. I checked it over and all seemed ok but after 2 more shots it locked with a live one in the spout and eventually the only way to release it was to remove the barrel and slide in one piece. On inspection I found that the frame has split in front of the trigger? Can anybody advise as to what could have gone wrong inside for it to jam that hard and could that have created the crack? Any thoughts and feedback will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Regards.
Wilko.

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
My 22lr has fired about 5000 round and yesterday after 48 rounds were shot the slide jammed in the closed position, after a lot of force it released. I checked it over and all seemed ok but after 2 more shots it locked with a live one in the spout and eventually the only way to release it was to remove the barrel and slide in one piece. On inspection I found that the frame has split in front of the trigger? Can anybody advise as to what could have gone wrong inside for it to jam that hard and could that have created the crack? Any thoughts and feedback will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Regards.
Wilko.
I would contact S&W. This may be a known issue with those

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would contact S&W. This may be a known issue with those
Thanks Jonesy, I've just sent off an email with photo attached so hopefully they can shed some light on the jamming and subsequent failure. It's a shame as with the right ammo this was a great little play thing. Again thanks for your thought, I didn't think of that. Have a great day.

·
Registered
21,903 Posts
Some of the earlier ones did have a real problem with that but was due to a thick webbing in the slide and believe S&W fix was ti file it down and cut it back a bit. There is a plastic recoil plate too that fits behind the main lide spring that needs to be replace every 1000 shots that if that plastic piece missing could cause the crack over time. Hope S&W knows and can fix.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the earlier ones did have a real problem with that but was due to a thick webbing in the slide and believe S&W fix was ti file it down and cut it back a bit. There is a plastic recoil plate too that fits behind the main lide spring that needs to be replace every 1000 shots that if that plastic piece missing could cause the crack over time. Hope S&W knows and can fix.
Hi jeepnut, thanks for the feedback as it gives me somewhere to look as I strip it down. Again thanks for taking the time, it's appreciated. Enjoy your day.

·
Registered
21,903 Posts
I do know S&W quit carrying the recoil plate and had to go to Numrich to get. Not sure S&W supports the 22A anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't got a reply to my email from them yet but if I do I'll post their thoughts. Hopefully the wait won't be to long.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Following...mine has held up well, but she doesn't make it out to the range much anymore. Curious to read response from the Mothership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts