Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in trying my hand at some competition shooting with my 22 Victory .
I was curious if their is any benefit to changing out the stock barrel with a Volquartsen lightweight THM carbon fiber tension barrel for the Smith & Wesson SW22 pistol. I am also curious if anyone can suggest a reasonably priced scope for the 22 also.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
My Victory with the standard barrel is extremely accurate . Shooting from a rest , it'll group ten rounds the size of a dime at 25 yards. I'll take that all day .
I have a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot optic on it and they work well together .

·
Super Moderator
19,293 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

I was curious if there is any benefit to changing out the stock barrel with a Volquartsen lightweight THM carbon fiber tension barrel for the Smith & Wesson SW22 pistol.

Yes, but are you a good enough shooter to see the improvement? Possibly, but unless you've shot this pistol thousands of times and you know exactly how it shoots now, and can accurately measure the improvements from the new barrel, you will probably be better off with the stock barrel for now.
Spending money on improvements that can't be measured is usually a waste of money.

I am also curious if anyone can suggest a reasonably priced scope for the 22 also.
I would recommend a red dot sight instead of a scope for competition shooting.
Burris Fastfire is about as good as it get's for a dot sight. If you really feel the need for a pistol scope look into getting a Swift pistol scope. Swift specializes in them, and their hard to beat at any price. I own 3 Swift pistol scopes, and they're perfect.

There are many pistols on the market better suited for competition then the Victory, but you'll need to learn as you go. You will need to be willing to spend lots of money, and lots of time practicing in a shooting range or firing field to figure out if this is really something you want to do. A quality race gun will cost well in excess of $1000, and can clime into the $4000-5000 range easily. Be prepared for some disappointment, and some good times as well. but most of all, Be prepared.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome to the friendly forum. Yes, Volquartsen barrels are superior to factory but most factory barrels are more accurate than most shooters. I'd spend the money on a good scope & as already mentioned red dot is the way to go. If someday you decide you could benefit from a high class barrel the scope can be transferred.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
And don't forget , a well made, close spec. barrels often gain the accuracy with tight chambers .As such they will often not chamber common utility .22 ammo. You may lose that cheap plinking fun aspect and have to buy $10 a box , low velocity target ammo.

Reactions: Injunbro
1 - 5 of 5 Posts