Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Hello, Tracy Ann! Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! Mark has got it pretty well covered. It is a beautiful inheritance. Just a couple of comments...first, if you are storing it in the holster, I recommend taking it out and putting it into a silicone gun sock or zippered gun rug. Leather can hold moisture and cause the metal surface to rust. Second, someone has tried to remove the sideplate using a flat blade screwdriver that was too wide for the screw head. That has scored the metal around 3 of the 4 sideplate screws. That damage has reduced the value of the gun substantially. However, it is an inheritance from your Dad and therefore priceless. There is usually no reason to take off the sideplate. The gun action can be cleaned and lubricated without removing it. Someone can explain how to do that if you are interested in cleaning it. The white scored areas around the screw heads is bare metal where the protective blue finish has been removed. Those areas need to be coated with oil to make sure they don't rust. There is also a gun product called known as cold blue that can be used to touch up the scoring so it is not as unsightly. Birchwood Casey makes a cold blue that is usually carried at big box sporting goods stores and gun shops. However, any cold blue will work. It is not permanent, though. So, those areas may need to be touched up from time to time.

These are fun guns to shoot. You should find some .22 Long Rifle standard pressure ammo and try it out. Let us know how you make out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, Tracy Ann! Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! Mark has got it pretty well covered. It is a beautiful inheritance. Just a couple of comments...first, if you are storing it in the holster, I recommend taking it out and putting it into a silicone gun sock or zippered gun rug. Leather can hold moisture and cause the metal surface to rust. Second, someone has tried to remove the sideplate using a flat blade screwdriver that was too wide for the screw head. That has scored the metal around 3 of the 4 sideplate screws. That damage has reduced the value of the gun substantially. However, it is an inheritance from your Dad and therefore priceless. There is usually no reason to take off the sideplate. The gun action can be cleaned and lubricated without removing it. Someone can explain how to do that if you are interested in cleaning it. The white scored areas around the screw heads is bare metal where the protective blue finish has been removed. Those areas need to be coated with oil to make sure they don't rust. There is also a gun product called known as cold blue that can be used to touch up the scoring so it is not as unsightly. Birchwood Casey makes a cold blue that is usually carried at big box sporting goods stores and gun shops. However, any cold blue will work. It is not permanent, though. So, those areas may need to be touched up from time to time.

These are fun guns to shoot. You should find some .22 Long Rifle standard pressure ammo and try it out. Let us know how you make out.
Such great information!
Thank you very much!

Premium Member
Tracy Ann, I would be happy to give you my opinion on value for insurance purposes. I am not an expert appraiser so other more knowledgeable members may want to comment. If it was mine, I'd value it at $1400 for insurance. Gun values vary by locales. It would be more valuable in California, for example, than here in rural Alabama. Now, Mark may want to weigh in 'cuz he lives near Hot Lanta where everything is "mo valuble". :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tracy Ann, I would be happy to give you my opinion on value for insurance purposes. I am not an expert appraiser so other more knowledgeable members may want to comment. If it was mine, I'd value it at $1400 for insurance. Gun values vary by locales. It would be more valuable in California, for example, than here in rural Alabama. Now, Mark may want to weigh in 'cuz he lives near Hot Lanta where everything is "mo valuble". :D
I live in California. Near Sacramento. :)
I didn't realize it was worth so much.
The things you find out about your parents after they are gone. I didn't know he had this..

Premium Member
Well, it is probably worth my estimate in CA. I just took another look at your pictures and it seems the hammer tang is broken off...or maybe it is the camera angle. Values are usually based on what a collector would pay. And, they want their guns to be new, in the box and unfired. Any nick, scratch or evidence of use detracts from the value. Hammers can be replaced for around $100, so discount it if you want. Realistically, your gun would sell for less than my estimate in most of the US. However, you still should insure it for what it might sell for in CA.

And, that vintage holster has some value as well. Probably $60-$100.

Registered
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have a similar revolver. I will attach a pic of it as well. They are fine little revolvers and fun to shoot, too. As stated earlier, the broken hammer spur will detract from the value as will the buggered areas around the screws. I think that value given may be close in California, but quite high for my area in Indiana. It would probably be closer to $1000 or around there.

Leland

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just coming back to thank you all for helping me figure our what exactly I had.
Your expert information and guidance was greatly appreciated!
I wish every forum I've joined to discover more about the various collectables I've inherited were as friendly as yours. 馃槂

1 - 17 of 17 Posts