Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first time poster - I've recently acquired a gun that I'm not familiar with. I posted the information on a local forum, and a fellow dated it to around 1915-1916. I don't know if it's a Bekeart or not, but I'd like to find a rear sight. I'm not having any luck on parts sites and auction sites, and I was directed here for advice. I've been told the Bekeart models had a different rear sight than the non-Bekeart. The leaf would appear to need to be about 3/16", much thinner than my other S&W revolvers. I'd like to just get any rear sight that fits that would make this functional. It's far from perfect so just being able to take it out and shoot it occasionally is the goal. It was listed as a parts gun, but I think it's too good for that and deserves to live on. Serial number is 225138, cylinder is stamped with the same number. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Well, it is a 22-32 Heavy Frame Target, but not a "Bekeart" as it shipped much later. I'd put your gun in the late teens based on S/N. You can put a WTB ad here for a Heavy frame Target rear sight or on the Blue Forum.
Also, it seems your front sight has been modified, so you'll need another one of those.

Have you checked with Numrich, Jack First, etc?

Reactions: combat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've looked through Numrich's and Jack First's parts listings and diagrams with no luck. Looking at pictures of 22-32's, it seems as though there may have been several options for front sights, or maybe it was common to modify them. Do you know what style front sight might have been on one from this time period?

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
The front sight you're looking for is called a Paine Bead. The rear sight should have a U-shaped slot.
Here's some more places to try.

George Dye for old Smith parts, sight blades, etc.

[email protected]

Brownells: Gunsmithing supplies, equipment, gun parts, technical advice.
Mail Address: 200 South Front Street, Montezuma, IA 50171
Phone: 800-741-0015
Fax: 641-623-3896
Web Site: Brownells - Firearms, Reloading Supplies, Gunsmithing Tools, Gun Parts and Accessories

‘Guns & Gun Parts’ (Recommended by S&W)
(413) 732-9938
983 Westfield St
West Springfield MA 01089-3813
EMAIL: [email protected]
Guns n Parts - New and Used Guns Bought and Sold. no parts list here.

"Aonepawninc" aonepawninc | eBay Stores
has a bunch of old S&W parts for sale. I just ordered a complete hammer for my pre model 30 from them. They are very customer oriented and have very reasonable prices. 1/10/16

Dave Bennett: Parts and guns from 1900 up to 1970's.
e-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site: www.22ammobox.com

Jim Horvath: Many parts for all S&W's (large and small) from 1860 up;
can reproduce parts.

Jeff Lee: Lee's Gun Parts (an extensive supply of gun parts, including S&W)
(Open to the public on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays).
3401 W. Pioneer, Suite 2, Irving, TX 75061
Phone: 972-790-0773
Lee's Gun Parts

Jan Matlega: Parts for Pre-WWII S&W hand-ejectors.
Mail Address: 528 Eddy Glover
New Britain, CT 06053
Phone: 860-229-6872

Poppert's Gun Parts: Poppert's Gun Parts Main Menu
P.O. Box 413
Glenside, PA 19038
Tel: 215-887-2391 Fax: 215-887-5816
Email: [email protected]

Charlie Pate: Provides screws (original & reproduction) for S&W Tip-ups and Top-breaks; author of books and articles on S&W guns.
Phone: 703-533-8057

Phil Saccacio: Phone: 540-456-6405

Dave Szilagy: Manufactures parts for older S&W's.
Mail Address: 3107 Electric, Lincoln Park, MI 48146

Mike Veilleux: Guns and Gun Parts
All Parts inc. for Pre- and Post-WWII S&W's.
Phone: 413-732-9938
Web Site: www.gunsnparts.com

S&W Parts; antique and new
[email protected]
Ph: 352 394-7412

"Schludershots"
https://www.schludershots.com/gun-pa...gun-parts.html

Good hunting,

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! A couple more comments on your HFT. Hondo44 is an expert on these guns and the ..32 cals. He comes here every once in a while but hangs out on the Blue Forum. PM him and he may know where you can acquire the parts you need. He also may be more precise in when it was made. It has the wrong grips for the time frame you have been given. The ones on it are from the 1920's. I can say for sure it was made before 1922 and, since it has a logo, probably before WWI. It has been refinished at some point so, if you want to do it again, you won't destroy any collector value. But, don't expect to get that money back in value improvement. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
I did a search and found that 220252 was shipped in February 1915 and serial #s in the 230xxx range were shipping by Nov. 1916. So, it is likely your gun was shipped in 1915. Grips were likely the 2 screw high wall wood that goes all the way up the backstrap to the prawl (knuckle). You can find them but expect to pay a pretty penny for them.

The 4th gun from the left is likely what yours looked like when new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great! Thanks for all the leads on parts. I have call-back messages and emails in to quite a few of them already. I have J, K, and L frames, and got into my head that I needed an N frame in 357. I had already given up on the hope of an M frame due to the cost. I didn't even know I frames existed until I was browsing through some N frame info, and just happened across this cheap one. Or what I would call cheap enough to make me feel good about it at $301 after shipping and FFL transfer fees. It doesn't bother me that the grips or front sight are incorrect, and I thought the grips were supposed the be the 2 screw, but I likely will not spend any money correcting those issues. I also don't care about the finish issues, like the cylinder fading to a brown that doesn't match the color on the frame, so I won't be spending any to refinish it. The bore looks great, and the action feels very nice and tight. But the missing rear sight bothers me a lot. Got to locate that and then I still need that HIghway Patrolman in a 6" barrel, and maybe one day down the road an X frame too.

Alan

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
A number of HFT's were shipped with "Regulation Police" style grips. But the one's on your gun are from the mid '20's , so too late for your ship date.

Note to Guy- the listing of suppliers is one I got from Jim (Hondo44) . Small world. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts