Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, long time reader first time caller.

I have the privilege of trying to sort out a retired Federal Marshall/Navy vet who carried this revolver as his personal sidearm thr last part of his law enforcement career up to the late 70's.

What it's just started doing, after finally seeing some range time after well over a decade sitting in a box, is the cylinder will not swing out without significant pressure from the other side.

It used to pretty much swing free so I know its a recent problem

the center pin isnt coming out of the back of the frame right, and has created a bright score line where it's dragged across the back of the frame (image enclosed if it will let me attach).

Ive been perusing threads about this and similar issues and have tried everything short of ordering parts.

Ive pulled the cylinder and swing out assembly, disassembled, ultrasonic cleaned everything inside, verified the threads screwing the ejector rod assembly are not bunged up as some suggested could keep the pin pushed back too far, tightened it as tight as I dare as some suggested a loose ejector, even took an emory to the pin to remove any burrs that might have developed as a last resort.

I can see no wobble when turning the cylinder, there is no significant cylinder play, and when closed turns smoothly as a swiss watch.

I also tried leaving the screw that retains the gantry out and that made no difference.

I know the pin just didn't grow in length over the last year since I last did the annual cleanup, but something's causing it to extend enough to gouge the frame and not come out when the release is pushed forward. (I even took the side plates off and cleaned around that just in case it wasnt going forward far enough) and have seen no improvement.

I also learned that the top of that cylinder gantry is SHARP :( and yes I got all the blood out so that's not jamming the ejector.

Is there anything else I can do before I contact Numrich? Should I order any other parts while I'm there that might also be part of the issue?

thanks in advance.

(I'm not a gunsmith, never played one on TV, havent been inside a Holiday Inn for decades, but I'm an internet searchin' machine!)

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Greetings I’m sure someone will be along shortly to help.

Thewelshm

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
What I think your problem is,, is the gun was probably used to shoot lots of Magnum ammo and you " Can" get a stretching of the center pin and yoke. I would suggest you contact Cylinder and Slide and get on the list to send it to them and let them re-tune the entire gun. Well worth it for a gun with family history like yours . Just ordering parts and replacing them is a crap shoot. Have it done right

·
Registered
180 Posts
I fixed a similar problem by removing the center pin, and gently filing a bit of material off of it, test-fitting it, re-filing, test fitting, etc. until it worked right. Not a difficult repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts