Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I did it to one of mine, I have two 6" barrel 16-4's and kept one as original.

The gun is definitely up to the task of handling the .327 Federal, not knowing the reputation of how "lively" the loading is with the factory Federal 100gr ammo, that was the first box I put through it after the conversion... it was hot, the gun held up fine.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Very nice Model 16-4. I had a 6" Model 16-4 that I foolishly sold for a small profit a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Beautiful 16-4. And a 4” to boot. My .02 is to leave that sweetheart alone. 16’s are gaining in value and take it from someone who looks for them, they are not easy to find. The .327 federal is a long cartridge that holds a lot of powder. According to data I’ve read, it operates at about twice the pressure of a .32 H&R mag. You’d be creating a fire breather with that short barrel. Probably bad enough that it wouldn’t be fun to shoot. Yeah I get the reasoning behind multiple cartridges and all. Practice with the H&R, carry the .327.

Now for the economics. You would be taking a getting to be collectible 16-4, with a lot of value, and changing it to something else. You will spend a bunch of money to rechamber a revolver to another cartridge. You will hurt the value of a collectible. The barrel will still read .32 H&R Magnum. By the time you get done with the cost of gunsmithing, hit to value, why not go buy a GP100 from Ruger that was designed around the cartridge? You could I suppose have another cylinder made up for that revolver. But that again would cost plenty. And then there is the swap over PITA.

Leave that one alone and pick up another designed for the cartridge. Again my .02. I’m sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will shoot it with the .32 H&R and make my decision. But remember with a gun nut practicality and reason are really foreign to us. Yes converting it would end up costing more than it is worth to others but to me it will be worth what I paid if it fills a need. I have had a Ruger Single Seven .327 so I am familiar with it and the round

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,039 Posts
...converting it would end up costing more than it is worth to others..
i think the mod is a simple cylinder ream, right? not much converting needed there.. i shoot a bunch of 32 family in the ruger single seven also, actually prefer the 32 mag cartridge in a short barrel.. if i had a 16-4 i'd do the mod. that 4" is sweet, btw..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. Bowen would do it for $150 including bluing and return shipping. To rechamber a 17 cylinder to .32-20 or .327 Fed would be $275 for the whole thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts