Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to all the books, this gun doesnt exsist. Well, I know there is at least one. The Rifle is a S&W 1500 made in Japan to Smith specifications. Meaning it is a Howa rebranded to a Smith. From all indications the gun was only made starting in 1982 and discontinued in 1984. My first thoughts are a rebarreled rifle, but it doesnt appear to have been messed with. It came with a fixed 6X Luepole scope, or at least thats whats on the rifle now. Serial number is PN78156. I am hopeing somone can verify that the S&W 1500 did come in 338 winmag caliber, even tho All printed information suggest the rifle was never offered in .338 win mag. 7mm rem mag and 300 mg, yes, but not .338. The gun was bought in a lot with other S&W rifles from an estate sale. And thats all I know about the rifle's history. I do know Howa made the same rifle for Mossberg and as a Weatherby Vanguard and some of those where offered in 338 win mag, but never offered the cartridge in a Smith.

· Registered
23,689 Posts
Smith contracted with a number of rifle builders so they could market a S&W badged long rifle in this country. I have one as well but mine is a S&W branded 308, manufactured by Husqvarna in the 60's.

Collectors consider the Howa builds to be inferior to the Husky builds but only what I've read. My Husky has a Paul Mauser short action and it's smooth as a baby's butt but the trigger is horrible and I replaced the trigger with a Timney.
Mine shoots sub MOA at 200 yards with 165 Bergers in Lapua brass with a moderate propellant load and MV is around 2800 fps.

· Registered
23,689 Posts
You won't get much play on this site as most everyone on here are handgun owners. There are a few, like me, that have both.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You won't get much play on this site as most everyone on here are handgun owners. There are a few, like me, that have both.

I do not own this rifle and trying to find info for a friend. He is wanting to sell the rifle but cant seem to come up with a value. He has talked to the editor of the gun blue book and has also talked to Smith directly. They cant come up with his serial number or any info on the gun. I checked out the S&W historical site, but they want a $100 membership to join before you can get information. If it was a standard caliber rifle, then price valuations are pretty easy to comeby. Being it is chambered for a 338 win mag and S&W didnt offer that caliber in the 1500, its sort of a oddity. Is it rare or is it something else.

· Registered
1 Posts
I would be interested in purchasing your friends S&W model 1500 .338.

According to all the books, this gun doesnt exsist. Well, I know there is at least one. The Rifle is a S&W 1500 made in Japan to Smith specifications. Meaning it is a Howa rebranded to a Smith. From all indications the gun was only made starting in 1982 and discontinued in 1984. My first thoughts are a rebarreled rifle, but it doesnt appear to have been messed with. It came with a fixed 6X Luepole scope, or at least thats whats on the rifle now. Serial number is PN78156. I am hopeing somone can verify that the S&W 1500 did come in 338 winmag caliber, even tho All printed information suggest the rifle was never offered in .338 win mag. 7mm rem mag and 300 mg, yes, but not .338. The gun was bought in a lot with other S&W rifles from an estate sale. And thats all I know about the rifle's history. I do know Howa made the same rifle for Mossberg and as a Weatherby Vanguard and some of those where offered in 338 win mag, but never offered the cartridge in a Smith.

· Registered
1 Posts
I had never seen a Smith and Wesson 338 Win Mag either until I just bought one from a young man that works for me. I used to have a 7mm Rem Mag, wish I had kept it. Excellent shooting gun and it was immaculate. If anyone has any information on one I would love to hear it.

· Registered
1 Posts
Yes they exists I have one serial # PN82XXX, found it at a gun shop in Lubbock Texas 1993

1 - 9 of 9 Posts