Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 13-3 that has a missing or broken firing pin spring. The price is right, but I have three questions:

1) Why is the firing pin spring loaded in the first place? Most are not, I think.

2) Is the spring hard to replace?

3) Is the fact that it is broken indicative of some other problem with the gun?

Thanks--I need quick info on this gun as it won't stay for sale long...

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Al,

At the risk of sounding insufferable, are you sure it's broken?

While these parts are not difficult to replace, you must remove the Hammer Nose (Firing Pin) to get to it. The involves removing (not too tough) the Hammer Nose Rivet and replacing it (no picnic) after the repair is complete.

They are spring loaded to assure correct alignment with the Hammer Nose Bushing in the frame.

If you get this gun, parts are only an e-mail away. I've got everything you will need. Just let me know Bro.

Drew

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drew,

Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not sure it's broken. It could be missing or maybe even just jammed up. What I know for sure is that there is no spring tension on the firing pin (as there is on my model 13). The firing pin moves around loosely with no tension.

I took my model 13 and a internet picture of a spring loaded model 13 firing pin to the store to show the dealer that his model 13 was not working right and he (basically) told me to take a hike.

He knows it needs repair and is just going to sell it to someone who doesn't know any better. No more business from me. Shame, as I've made several good finds there in the past.

Thanks again for the help...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sebago son, I am a new member, read your comment about the firing pin spring. I picked up a model 13-3 today and the firing pin is loose-no spring tension like my mod 29-3, does that mean the spring is broken?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts