Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always wanted a 3.5" model 27, but they have gotten so dad gummed expensive, I glommed this 4" model 28 instead.

Because of California's crazy handgun laws, pre-lock revolvers must be C&R or an in-state private party purchase to be available in Cali. This one is a C&R.

The finish is decent, grips are solid and it is a good shooter.

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
I have to agree with you. Mine is an S series as well. Shoots just fine.

Oops that was the Model 19.

Here is the Model 28 S series.

·
Registered
22,276 Posts
Sweet model 28! Looks good and I like the grips. I also have an S series but a 6". Congrats and have fun with that. I frequently shoot my 4" HP.

20180909_190806.jpg

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
That's a nice one! The walnut grips have great color & grain in addition to being in great shape. I stumbled upon a 6 inch HP a couple years ago and brought it home. Not as nice as yours but it sure does shoot great

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Nothing soaks up recoil like an N Frame. I bought a very nice 586 a while back because I always wanted an L Frame. It was very accurate but just not as pleasant to shoot as my N Frame guns. I sold it at a gun show a few years back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a nice one! The walnut grips have great color & grain in addition to being in great shape. I stumbled upon a 6 inch HP a couple years ago and brought it home. Not as nice as yours but it sure does shoot great
Thanks, jonesy. I put a set of Pachmayr "Professional" grips on it for shooting comfort. And to save wear and tear on the original grips.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing soaks up recoil like an N Frame. I bought a very nice 586 a while back because I always wanted an L Frame. It was very accurate but just not as pleasant to shoot as my N Frame guns. I sold it at a gun show a few years back.
Couldn't agree more. I still love the look of the 3.5" model 27. To me, even more than the Colt Python, that 3.5" N frame epitomizes the .357 magnum revolver.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That 28 is fine as frog's hair.. The 27 may be shinier but that's all. One dang fine gun.
Enjoy it.

Old timers will know what I'm talking about when I say the Model 28 is the GMC of the S&W line.
Hey Mustang..very nice 28. I also have a 4" S prefix Model 28 from 1956. shoot it often.
Stay safe my friends.
Dick
View attachment 456333
Thanks, guys. It is a lot of fun shooting the Model 28 and it attracts some attention at the range.

Great looking HP, you got there yourself, Dick!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Mustang,

Swell looking Highway PatrolMan!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
You guys made me curious. I had to go check my 28 and see what the prefix is. Mine is also a S prefix serial number. Shooting the N frame is fantastic whether it’s specials or mags. I love my model 10 but the 28 has a much better trigger of the two.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts