Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum, I'm new here and could use some help. So my stepfather just passed away, he was a WW2 veteran with many firearms he had collected, while helping my mom sort through his personal things, we found this .32 which was completely rusted and locked up in every way. I soaked it in motor oil for 2 days, worked everything free, now I need to find out everything I can to attempt a restoration if possible, with the pics attached and the vast experience of everyone on this forum, I'm hoping to get this family project firing again soon. So any info would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,509 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! 32 hand ejector from the 1910 to 1917 era. The grips were Bakelite or hard rubber, black with the Round Top and the S&W logo embossed on the Round Top. You can find them on eBay or replicas can be found. They are I frame. J frame grips that enclose the handle can work also.

Guy

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Mix 50/50 ATF and acetone and soak for a week shaking the (sealed) container daily. You'll be amazed at the results.

·
Registered
16,999 Posts
When you get it working it will be an excellent shooter. I inhereted this one from my Granddad as it was his BUG while he was LEO and Chief of Police. The grips are original and is 1917 per Mr Jenkins at S&W. Enjoy that old piece of family history and bringing it back to life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wow, thanks everyone for the welcome, the quick responses, and the wisdom and knowledge you all have to share with someone like myself who holds a family air loom close to heart. I have emailed S&W customer service as well asking for a owner's manual of some sort so that I could bring this to original condition. Please keep the support and advice coming. BTW I'm a 33 year USAF retired E-8 veteran myself, so in honor of my stepfather's service in WW2, I want to bring this S&W back to life. I know my mom and stepfather would be proud!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a word of caution. Looking at that ejector rod and the crystalized flaking of metal it appears that gun has been in a fire. It may never be safe to shoot even if it cleans up and function unless it can be heat treated to withstand modern ammunition pressures.

·
Super Moderator
19,331 Posts
Before trying to shoot this revolver have a reputable gunsmith go through it carefully to let you know if it's safe or not to shoot. I would do that before investing a great deal of time and money ona gun that's forever out of service.

Good luck in your endeavor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before trying to shoot this revolver have a reputable gunsmith go through it carefully to let you know if it's safe or not to shoot. I would do that before investing a great deal of time and money ona gun that's forever out of service.

Good luck in your endeavor
Will do, and good advice.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are your photos of I frames or K frames guns, please?
Steve

·
Premium Member
18,509 Posts
I frame. Trying to find a OEM handle for it now. Not a easy search...
Round butt I frame hard rubber grips show up from time to time on eBay, gunbroker.com, gunsinternational.com, gunsamerica.com. But, you are right that they have become pretty scarce. NC Ordnance (gungrip.com) sells replicas for the I frame if you want it to look original. These and original grips aren't the best for shooting, however. Fortunately, J frame grips that entirely enclose the grip frame (boot, combat, target) will work on the I frame and are much more comfortable, particularly if you have big hands. If you insist on original, hard rubber grips, post an ad in the Classifieds forum here and on the Blue S&W forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Round butt I frame hard rubber grips show up from time to time on eBay, gunbroker.com, gunsinternational.com, gunsamerica.com. But, you are right that they have become pretty scarce. NC Ordnance (gungrip.com) sells replicas for the I frame if you want it to look original. These and original grips aren't the best for shooting, however. Fortunately, J frame grips that entirely enclose the grip frame (boot, combat, target) will work on the I frame and are much more comfortable, particularly if you have big hands. If you insist on original, hard rubber grips, post an ad in the Classifieds forum here and on the Blue S&W forum.
Thanks for the info Wiregrassguy, that's a good point, I think I'd rather have function than the original look. (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts