Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked one of these up and had a few questions. This is the 10 round blued version with the full underlug. Apparently the cylinder is aluminum. I was curious as to whether I could replace the aluminum cylinder with a steel one from another gun or an older model of the 17? Anyone have any idea on this?

Also I was looking at the HiViz front sights for 617s. Anyone have any idea whether they will also fit this model?

·
Registered
22,175 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Any pics of the revolver you describe? We'd like to see it and would help us to answer any other questions you may have.:)

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum! Any pics of the revolver you describe? We'd like to see it and would help us to answer any other questions you may have.:)
Thx, here is the ad for the gun. I already bought it but as of 12/16 the ad is still up. I just bought it so it's not in my possession. i'm in NYS so I have to wait for it to be shipped to the FFL and than wait for my county to add it to my permit. Probably looking at around 3-4 weeks. Anyways here is the ad that has the pics: https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/revolvers/smith-wesson-revolvers-model-17/smith-wesson-model-17-8-22-long-rifle.cfm?gun_id=101302039

As you can see the cylinder looks almost purple, love the gun besides that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the cylinder is aluminum, it may be possible to have it anodized with a black finish
I reached out to Smith to see if there is a steel cylinder available. I'll let everyone know if they offer any alternative. If not I'll have to have it anodized or find some alternative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find this post very ironic. I just purchased a 17-8 as well last week. I have been trying to do some research on them and joined the forum hoping to find some answers. I actually viewed the 17-8 in the link that borbia purchased last night as I was researching. I will make a post with some pics of mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like a cool gun. I'm waiting on shipping and than I have to wait on my commie overlords in NY to grant me permission to put it on my permit. Can't wait to shoot it? how much did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking? Any issues w the aluminum cylinder?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like a cool gun. I'm waiting on shipping and than I have to wait on my commie overlords in NY to grant me permission to put it on my permit. Can't wait to shoot it? how much did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking? Any issues w the aluminum cylinder?
I literally just got it last week. I haven't shot it yet. Everything seems to function well. You could say I got a steal of a deal on it. I ended up with a deal on 3 guns. I originally wanted a model 66 .357mag, and offered $300. The guy accepted and offered 2 more guns for $700 total. One was the 17-8 and the other was a ruger mkIII hunter in stainless basically NIB. From what I am finding out the 66 was worth what I paid for all 3 and then some. But I figure I paid $200 for the 17-8. I put up a post with some pics. I also live in NY so I understand what you are dealing with.

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/#/topics/203803

1 - 11 of 11 Posts