Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used 1911 yesterday. A Springfield Armory Range Officer Champion in 9mm. It came with the case and all accessories, 2 mags, etc. It's a good looking pistol and something that is a little out of my regular routine. I've never owned too many 1911's.
I've been on Youtube to look up some videos on takedown issues, shooting, general impressions, etc. There's a confusing variety of models in this line. I found some takedown videos that had a pistol with a different recoil spring assembly then my pistol has.
It's a good looking, well made pistol. I'm looking forward to getting to know this gun. Gun Firearm Ammunition Trigger Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
Congratulations on a nice M1911a1. The compact officer's slide size is a nice carry gun.

This line was generally made with two piece barrels, but I have not heard any problems with them. Don't do much more than disassemble it to clean it. There are a couple different approaches to the barrel bushing and recoil spring/guide so go slow on disassembly. Leave the action work to someone with experience if you need adjustments. It's complex, and lockup involves a number of things.

Is this your gun's recoil rod system?

The above demo involves pretty good hand strength. The one below uses a plastic clip to relieve the recoil spring pressure first:

Reactions: potmetal

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yes that is the system. I found the first video last night but not the 2nd one. Very helpful, thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts