Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a water pipe break last week at home and my S&W 357 model 19-4 was in my gun bag which got wet. There were several places which had rust but it came off with a little "CLR" and a toothbrush. I now have some spots on the gun where the bluing came off. Is there anyway I can fix this myself or does the whole gun have to be redone? Any help is appreciated.
Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
Your photos are out of focus, and I can't see detail of the damage.

The typical way of removing oxidation is to use well oiled 0000 steel or bronze wool on a well oiled surface. Don't use too much pressure, and you won't cause additional finish damage.

I tend not to like the cold blue touch up finishing because it leaves an odor, and never looks right.

It might be better than you think after removing surface oxidation.

Reactions: SidecarFlip

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Your photos are out of focus, and I can't see detail of the damage.

The typical way of removing oxidation is to use well oiled 0000 steel or bronze wool on a well oiled surface. Don't use too much pressure, and you won't cause additional finish damage.

I tend not to like the cold blue touch up finishing because it leaves an odor, and never looks right.

It might be better than you think after removing surface oxidation.
As I said in my post, the rust came off pretty good with the CLR and a toothbrush. I was just hoping I could get something to kind of cover up the spots. I don't guess the spots matter to anyone but me, as I am not going to sell the gun. -- I have replaced the photos and hopefully more in focus.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Although this is late, The MORAL of the story is NEVER use CLR on a blued firearm!!
CLP is OK with SOME EXTRA FINE STEEL WOOL to remove minor rust
CLR contains acid and will eat up the bluing.!!!

You can blend the blue finish with several applications of cold blueing. No it will not be perfect but it can be made much better.
Brownells or Birchwood Casey works pretty well

·
Registered
19,343 Posts
Think I'd send it out and have it salt bath reblued. There are a couple very reputable refinishers on the net.

·
Registered
19,343 Posts
I'm here to say that if I buy a barrel that comes blued (when I assemble a firearm), I usually strip it and apply a Cerakote finish. I like salt bath blued but in my sporting realm, it's not really practical. Cerakote is. I can Cerakote a firearm in any color I want to and do it at home (so long as the part isn't too big for my wife's electric oven) that is.

Cerakote is a medium temp baked on finish that is very durable. At least as durable as a salt bath blue plus I can change the colors if I want a new look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.