Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now this is not a S&W, but it sure resembles one. This is a .32 Russian Nagant 7 shot military revolver. It shoots a 7.62x38R cartridge or also called the 7.62 Nagant. It was designed by a pair of Belgian brothers named Nagant in 1895 and Russia used them until after WWII. This pistol was manufactured in 1944. I also have another one made in 1924 that has wooden checkered grips. The 7.62 Nagant cartridge is a gas-seal design. When the hammer is cocked (it is a double action), the cylinder moves forward inserting the tip of the cartridge into the barrel. That gives it a bit more muzzle velocity (50-150 fps). I have heard that .32 S&W longs can be fired in it and some owners have a special cylinder made for S&W cartridges. I placed it next to my .32 HE for comparison. The holster is Russian military surplus.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Reactions: Rapidray

·
Super Moderator
19,839 Posts
wisegrassguy,
Did you know that the Nagant revolver is the only model specifically designed to put a silencer on? And it really works. When the cylinder slides forward into the forcing cone it creates a total gas seal and makes the revolver sealed tight for the silencer to work perfectly. It was often used as an assassins gun because it was so effectively silenced.
It will shoot the .32 S&W, but the Nagant ammo is so inexpensive when it's bought in a spam can that it isn't cost effective to shoot anything else thru it. There are dozens of suppliers selling the ammo for this revolver. And, there are thousands of these Nagant's out there. since they can be imported so cheaply. I really want to buy three of them. One to put a silencer on, another to lock away for my children's enjoyment, and the third to shoot till the cows come home.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Premium Member
20,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Sixgun -- sorry I got you excited. Should have used other wording. I know the S&W pistols using the Russian cartridge were the sidearms of choice for the Tsar up to the introduction of the Nagant in 1895. That's a nice looking piece. I'd like to have one like it as well.

@gregory -- Yes, I know the Nagant can be silenced. But, doesn't it require some threading of the muzzle to attach? I've never seen an ad for a Nagant silencer so it would have to be custom made I suppose...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would like to see a silencer on a Nagant! I did not know about the cylinder sliding forward. Interesting.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would like to see a silencer on a Nagant! I did not know about the cylinder sliding forward. Interesting.
Here you go: Silenced 1895 Nagant revolver (NFA) - YouTube

The big problem with the Nagant is that pulling the trigger is similar to trying to crush a walnut with just your index finger. ;) All the mechanics required to push that cylinder forward are a bit hard on the ol' trigger finger.

The ammunition for them is pretty fascinating too, being that the bullet is seated down inside the cartridge. The brass expands inside the barrel to create the full seal, giving you a similar velocity increase over a revolver that you see when shooting revolver rounds out of an automatic (such as .357 out of a Coonan)

·
Premium Member
20,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Almost $500 for a silencer for a $99 gun. Probably not for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts