Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,302 Posts
Extremely nice family of Rugers there. I like the old Ruger SAs with screws.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
All
In a dark corner of a safe full of S&W's and M1 Garands lives the OTHER GUNS.
Some Rugers with three screws.

1. 357 Magnum Flat Top, 1959. Has some fancy, value enhancing, nickel work. Has a set of Sambar stag grips worth just short of what I paid for this gun recently. Bought the gun for the grips. I am easily influenced by Leo.

2. 22 LR Flat Top, 1959. Plain gun.

3. 22 WMR Flat Top, 1962. As new. Box, docs, extra serialized 22 LR cylinder, and original factory air in the box. Box marked 22 WMR.

4. 41 Magnum 1970. Plain gun.

5. 22 LR Bearcats. They belonged to my father. Not really a three screw, but, they have a 4 click hammer.

Some pics.
[email protected] View attachment 394679

View attachment 394681

View attachment 394683

View attachment 394685

View attachment 394687
I like the blanket also!:D

Is that an arrow head or a "rock"??

Long ago I had a arrow head collection from Northern tribes, some how some where in life they vanished.:(

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
You can thank the anti gun nuts for that. I think the federal government had some kind of hammer drop tests too! The 3-screw revolvers are actually 5-shooters!

Actually they aren't connected. The hammer block/transfer bar was the result of the lawsuits & added to the models held together w/ screws but the pins that replaced the screws are just some engineering screwup.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can thank the anti gun nuts for that. I think the federal government had some kind of hammer drop tests too! The 3-screw revolvers are actually 5-shooters!
It had nothing to do with anti gun nuts. It was due to liability issues when they lost a lawsuit and wanted to protect themselves from others. They went beyond what most companies would have done. My Rough Rider is not drop safe and will go off if dropped with a cartridge in the cylinder (guess how I know) and Heritage uses a safety instead of installing a transfer bar safety like Ruger did.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I'm the odd guy that actually prefers a New Model (pins)over a Old Model (screws).
Even with my 10 thumbs I can comfortably dis and reassemble with just a little cussin. And in fact most everything I do deserves a little cussin.
A real advantage is parts . Parts are everywhere and easy to come by . Often Ruger will just send them to you. Parts interchange between models easily and very seldom require fitting. Grip frames , hammers, triggers, lifter/pawls, ' cylinder stops and sometimes cylinders all drop in for the most part. With just a little internal massage the new models can be made extremely smooth and buttery . Brutally strong and HARD to break.
Old models are not supported by the factory unless converted to a transfer bar. To me , they loose all their charm as soon as they are converted.
Old model parts are drying up , getting hard to locate and very expensive .
As mentioned Old models are 5 shooters ,,,,,,,, And just plain loud and noisy when cocking.
CLACK ,CLACK ,CLACK, CLACK.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Very nice Rutgers! As some of y’all might remember, I EDC a Ruger Speed-Six. Got a 4” GP-100, and have owned several Ruger rifles. I’m a fan of most Ruger products. Having said that, a Smith revolver handles like fine piece of machinery, lockup, trigger pull. Well, y’all know what I mean. Hank BE1F3902-2FE3-4A76-B1DD-B029DE57C512.jpeg BE1F3902-2FE3-4A76-B1DD-B029DE57C512.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts