Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone here have any experience with using moon clips (full or otherwise) in an SP101 chambered for .327 Federal Magnum without having to machine the cylinder? Also, has anyone tried those clips with .32 ACP ammo in the same gun? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
147 Posts
The .32 ACP does not need moon clips to be used in any .32 cal revolver, unless the pistol is excessively worn.

The .32 ACP is actually semi-rimmed, with the rim slightly wider than the case above the extractor groove.

My Model 30-1 (.32 S&W Long), my Single-Six (.32 H&R Magnum), and my Model 632 (.327 Federal) all accept the .32 ACP perfectly well, as the slightly wider rim holds the rounds properly in place. They fire consistently, and extract properly.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The .32 ACP does not need moon clips to be used in any .32 cal revolver, unless the pistol is excessively worn.

The .32 ACP is actually semi-rimmed, with the rim slightly wider than the case above the extractor groove.

My Model 30-1 (.32 S&W Long), my Single-Six (.32 H&R Magnum), and my Model 632 (.327 Federal) all accept the .32 ACP perfectly well, as the slightly wider rim holds the rounds properly in place. They fire consistently, and extract properly.
The .32 ACPs chamber in the SP101 cylinder but they seat a little too deep and don't allow the firing pin to contact the primer with enuf oomph to ignite it. There is a slight indent in the primer but not enuf. I have no issues with the rimmed .32s, I just can't get the ACP rounds to fire. I was thinking if I could find some thin moon clips that might help. The only issue might be would the cylinder close and index properly w/o spending $150 or more to get it machined bcuz I won't do that.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

One thing I forgot to mention. The rim thickness on the .32 ACP case is about .010" thinner than the rim on the others which may also contribute to the light primer strikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts