Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in NH, the historic home state of Ruger, I’m somewhat of an outcast when it comes to Ruger. Yes, I have a 10/22 (who doesn’t?) and yes, I have a Blackhawk. No Other Ruger rifles or shotguns and I pretty much loathe all of their double action revolvers. They just don’t have the classy look of the Smiths.

Except for the SP101. There is something about that bulky, heavy five shot that alway appealed to me. So, having some toy money to spend, and having been about 10 months or so since my last purchase, I jumped on this one. No deal to be had, really. Paid pretty much full pre-Covid prices, which, come to think about it, is kinda a deal, sadly. The 3” barrel was the clincher, plus he threw in three speedloaders and a second set of grips.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yeah I agree with you about the 101. Git my daughter one. Just had to lighten the springs and polish a few internals.

Now I think the Vaquero is one of the nicest looking guns I own!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I already had my SP101 in .22 LR for quite a while when a longtime friend and coworker (now R.I.P.) convinced me that the SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum was about as versatile a revolver as there could ever be that was not a discontinued S&W. That was long before the current ammo crisis as you might suspect. Now, his position all depends on what you plan to use it for and where, but over time his insistence, logic and enthusiasm got to me and I finally bought one. :) Too bad that ammo for it is now impossible to find or afford. :( So for now, it's just a real pretty paperweight. :whistle:

And the crazy part? He never bought one for himself. He was funny that way. He'd get real enthusiastic about one particular gun... and then drop the idea altogether and go on to another (last such gun before he passed: The Sig P365). He was a truly great competitive shooter in his day, so I did value his opinions. :) Well, at least some of them. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
13,646 Posts
I've got a SP101 .357 magnum with snub barrel. It's my carry revolver.

Mine came to me used also, but it appeared un-shot - literally close to new except that it had some action work.

A shop I deal with periodically had it priced far too low to ignore (about $300 8 years ago) and it looked like it had been traded (I was eventually told that very morning) for something the owner could operate better. I was delighted.

These are well made revolvers, with a unique action that can be removed from the frame in one piece. The snub carries well in a Hume holster.

Reactions: Forester

·
Super Moderator
35,557 Posts
Great addition, the 3" SP101 .357 here is still a favorite for and still gets carried at times:

I am in agreement with the 3" barrel being an outstanding choice for balance and heft.

Reactions: Forester

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
Nice Ruger SP-101 Forestor.. I like 3" barrel .357s too. 😎

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been crazy busy with work which doesn’t leave me a lot of time to shoot these days but I was able to run a couple of cylinders of 38 special through the SP yesterday afternoon. Might as well have been shooting a 22 for all the felt recoil. Think I’m going to really love this one.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Been crazy busy with work which doesn’t leave me a lot of time to shoot these days but I was able to run a couple of cylinders of 38 special through the SP yesterday afternoon. Might as well have been shooting a 22 for all the felt recoil. Think I’m going to really love this one.
Yes, even Plus P 38 specials are no problem in my 2.25 inch SP101, but you do feel a bit more recoil with 158 grain magnums. Actually my SP101 is much more comfortable compared to my 3"" model 60 with magnums. Those extra 3 ounces of gun make a big difference and your 3" SP101 is an ounce or 2 more than mine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.