Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 22 revolver and came across a single six produced around 1956 in 22 caliber with a 6 1/2" barrell. Without having seen it in person or talked to the guy. Appears to be okay, but have some questions. How hard is it to find the other cylinders? I have no idea what it has, but does not appear to have the alternate cylinder, wether it be the mag or long rifle.

Any strange issues about these?

Asking price is $275

Are their some variants more valuable than others? What is average now adays?

Should i save up a couple hundred more for a K22?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think Giz is (one of the) resident Ruger experts but that sounds like a good deal to me.
FWIW I am still keeping my eyes out for a K22 for you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flatgate style latch....original grips?

The price is super if it is. If the serial number is 4 digits or less, I'd about faint.... ;) Can you get a pic?

Giz...

ps...don't tell Dan, Don, etc.... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Too late, Giz...
The 'Ruger-seeking radar' has been activated!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Saw a 90% flat gate yesterday
$495.00, no box, papers, nothing but the revolver
It's still there

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last Flatgate I bought set me back well over $600....but it was a 98% gun and 5 digit... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I could never get "in" to the old Ruger Single Sixes, as the non-adjustable sights do nothing for me. My old stand-by is a 1976 "Liberty" 9.5" Single Six (or aren't they referred to as "Super Single Six"?).

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Ditto, Giz and azmick.
Seems that most of those little 'can punchers' got used a lot, holstered, and 'tackle-boxed', then put away dirty to molder for decades.
IMHO, it's much easier to find a nice early Blackhawk than a like-date single-six.
Those last several percentage-points of condition cost lots of jack!
Don
;)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I know some were made as 22 long rifle only.If you find a 22 mag cylinder the 22 mag is slightly larger and will cause excess wear shooting them.The convertible styles have a 22 mag bore and the 22 long rifles go down a slightly larger bore. It doesnt seem to affect accuracy that much.You can still pick a grouse head off with one.
You have to talk to some one deeper into the details of the exact bore size difference etc and what years they were 22 long rifle only.
I noticed the ones with only one cyclinder but were sold as a convertible and have a lost cylinder sell for less. I also heard ruger will sell and fit a cylinder for 50 bucks.The imformation I am passing on came from other forums and what I surfed up over time satisfying my own curiosity. So you might talk to some one who is willing to answer your question about the cylinders that has actual experience.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg,
Definitely not a flatgate, the loading gate is the next version. Gun looks well used. I am on the road typing this so without a SN range, I'm just guessing that those are not the correct grips. Could be wrong but they should be the original black rubber. Looks like it's a 80's percent gun. The next question is if it still goes 4-clicks as the original guns did...or was it safety converted. That effects the price.

I'm thinking it's about a average asking price for a unconverted gun in that condition. On the plus side, it's prolly a good little shooter, and on the really plus side ~ did you know that these are oft times converted into some pretty neat custom guns. Like a .41 Special.... :) If ever I converted one...that would be the cartridge I'd want....

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the used but not abused look. Much cheaper and I don't worry about shooting them.

It was not converted for the new design safety on the hammer. Or so the guy stated.

Not going for it though. I really want a K22 (4 screw preferred), just got to find one at the right price when I have enough spare cash. With a home remodel and 11year old, seems like never. But at times I do. :)

Course a platform to play with as you said. How would that happen? Buying new barrel and cylinder? Or have a gunsmith rebore them?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Works like this....

Send the gun and the check you had reserved for the nice K22 to a gunsmith who specializes in these conversions....

Get back a line-bored super accurate .41 Special and be the very first in your neighborhood to have one....Kids will look up to you, strange women will want your phone number, azmick will want to be your best friend, you go to the top of the heirachy on the Revolver forum, and SaxonPig will say that finally he has seen the light and the only gun for him is the Single Six .41 Conversion......

giz :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Gizamo said:
Works like this....

Send the gun and the check you had reserved for the nice K22 to a gunsmith who specializes in these conversions....

Get back a line-bored super accurate .41 Special and be the very first in your neighborhood to have one....Kids will look up to you, strange women will want your phone number, azmick will want to be your best friend, you go to the top of the heirachy on the Revolver forum, and SaxonPig will say that finally he has seen the light and the only gun for him is the Single Six .41 Conversion......

giz :mrgreen:
would that be a 3-shot .41 single six? :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They make a great little 5 shooter :mrgreen:

here's a tidbit from Taffin on the subject....Brian Pearce has written a good deal on them....

Mini-.41 Special

Now it was time for something a little different. This is not original with me but rather the creation of John Gallagher. A few years ago at a Shootist Holiday, John brought out his prototype five-shot .41 Special on a Ruger Old Model Single-Six. Needless to say wanted the smallest of big-bore packin' pistols, so I got an Old Model Ruger Single-Six and shipped it off to John.

He started with an Old Model .22 Ruger Single-Six, changed the firing pin to center fire, manufactured a new cylinder chambered to a 5-shot .41 Special, and then fitted a .41" barrel. This conversion requires an Old Model, as a New Model .22 Single-Six with its transfer bar safety does not allow the necessary room to open-up the loading port.

The old original Flat-Top frame with the rear dovetailed sight is left as is, while the front sight is a post style slanting forward and serrated. Finishing touches include a Belt Mountain locking base pin, action tuned with a 2 1/2-pound trigger pull, nicely polished blue finish and the fitting of exotic wood grips.

For this mini-version of a Perfect Packin' Pistol I went with 5.0 or 6.0 grains of Unique with either the Oregon Trail 215 LSWC or Speer's 200 grain copper-cupped-with-a-lead core JHP for 700 to 850 fps

·
Registered
68 Posts
About 5 years ago I met another Ruger Collector here in Tucson. He knew nothing of the internet or Forums and such. He had been collecting Rugers for 30 plus years and was lacking a few to complete his collection, We had a lot of fun together trying to complete his quest over the past few years ( I love spending other peoples money) anyways 2 week ago I helped him aquire the last gun he needed the rare 41 Mag Blackhawk with a Factory installed Brass Gripframe. He told me when we 1st started off that If I found him one he would give me this. I thought he was joking but he sure kept his word

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dan,

Simply Outstanding! I love starting my day out seeing a gun like that. :mrgreen:

Did you snag a pic of that .41?

giz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts