Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe these are a fairly recent addition to the Ruger lineup. I hunted around a bit, and found one on Gunbroker for a decent price. They are also offered in .40 caliber, and it is expected other calibers will be offered.

I never handled one before I ordered it online. My initial impression was it appeared much like my tactical model mini 14. Black synthetic stock, with a flat black body. Sights very similar to the mini 14.

The gun has a bit of heft to it, again, similar to the mini 14. It comes with several adapters and allen wrenches to do a few changes to it. I put all 3 adapters in for a long length of pull. I might remove one, but it feels good.

This little carbine, firing pistol rounds, is a bit tamer than the .223 mini 14. The bolt upon charging a round is basically effortless. It closed with little authority, unlike the Garand style action in the mini. This mostly ends the similarities to its Ruger cousin.

Ruger includes an adapter so the PC (Pistol Cartridge) carbine can accept 9 mm Glock mags, which should appeal to some prospective buyers. Out of the box, the PC was set up to take several types of Ruger pistol mags. I have a SR series pistol (SR9c) and the mags I have for it fit the PC. The mags I inserted slipped in easily, with no drama. That included new 33 round steel Promags which I purchased at a decent price from Brownells, who had a good price on them.

Changing out the mag well on the PC apparently takes a couple minutes and a allen wrench is provided. This is required to use Glock mags.

Another unique feature for left handers is that the charging knob on the bolt can be easily moved to the left side, and is installed on the right out of the box. Likewise, the mag release can also be moved to the right or left. Unlike the Ruger SR series pistols, it is not ambidextrous.

There is one feature I did not care for, and that is the removable barrel. I simply did not think I would use it. However, backpackers and others opting for compact storage might use this feature. I can say that with some recent cougar attacks here in the Pacific Northwest, it would be handy to have. The barrel has a takedown lever and rotates. It reassembles, just as quickly, taking a few moments.

People that like the idea of a shared round in their .357/.44 mag lever action and revolver for being in the wilderness might like this gun. But it beats out that setup with shared magazines.

Inside the home for self defense, with +P ammo, the carbines compact footprint, common availability of 17 round mags, should make it a contender. And absent the muzzle blast and possible over penetration in an urban environment, might make it a better choice than a .223.

I ran a nominal 50 rounds of Herter's FMJ brass cartridges through it today. The round nosed 9 mm bullets fed flawlessly. The rifle had no malfunctions of any kind. You could tell you were not firing rifle rounds. The nominal recoil, sort of a thunk, thunk, transmitted to the shoulder, was such that children, adults and the elderly should be able to handle it just fine.

I did not punch paper. The front sight I think might get a touch of neon paint. I was shooting into the edge of some fir trees as a backstop and a dirt bank. At 50 feet, the front sight covered my 3" swinger.

A deer was waiting for me behind the targets, apparently there to devour more tasty rose leaves and ripe apples. I resisted turning her into venison, and shot behind her. She jumped and I think the round spit up a dirt clod.

I like the gun, and would seriously employ it for home defense. With a 33 round mag, you should be good to go. A standard picatinny rail on top and below, leaves room for a scope, red dot, a laser/light combo or whatever suits. My Viridian laser/light setup would work well on this gun.

I expect velocity of rounds fired out of the rifle barrel should exceed those fired from a handgun. I have not checked, but it is reasonable to expect this rifle will fire +P 9x19 rounds with the heaviest bullets with ease.

Negatives? I expected to merely tolerate the take down feature. But it locks up like a bank vault. Some may like this feature a lot.
Orange Circle Pendant Fashion accessory Necklace
Blue Cobalt blue Fashion accessory Circle Soil
Design Pattern Furniture Tartan
Floor Technology Gadget Auto part Electronic device

A bit of paint is needed on the front sight. I also need new glasses, having to use an old pair. Might be part of the issue.

Pictured also is my SR9c, which happily takes the 33 round mags.

·
Super Moderator
19,900 Posts
One advantage of the take down barrel is that it goes back on the rifle with perfect repeatable accuracy. Put a scope on it, and you don't need to worry about sighting it in when breaking it down. Ruger has used this with their takedown 10/22 with great success.
Another advantage is that it's small enough to breakdown and store in a vehicle easily. Backpacking? It'll fit in most full sized backpacks too.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I like mine a lot. Had it now for 2 years. Ive got a gazillion 9mm Glock mags so that is how mine is set up. I put an Eotech 512 site on it and at 50 feet with every ammo I've used it groups one ragged hole. Accurate,dependable and affordable. Whats not to like?

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
I recently got one of these for bedside duty (as well as range fun) I switched to Glock mags, although I am finding out some generations of mags are not as easily used as others and that when switching to Glock mags, the mag release needs to stay on the right side. As a LH I am used to that anyway, so no big deal. I put a SIG Romeo on it and at 50 yards with factory Speer TMJ it produced a much tighter group than with my plain eyes sight and was spot on as far as center of target goes.
IF and when this insanity calms down, I'll probably buy another just to have a back-up.

·
Premium Member
13,669 Posts
Thanks for the thorough review.

IIRC, this is a direct blowback firearm with an unlocked breech? If so, they must have hit a "sweet spot" in the mass of the breech block since it handles a range of ammunition and different bullet masses.

It probably has higher velocity than a normal pistol. Longer time in the barrel to accelerate the bullet...

Congratulations on a great and versatile firearm.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does operate off blowback. I watched Hikok45 do two videos on the gun. I think he liked it, but had some issues, I think with Glock mags, and had some failure to feed issues. He gave the gun another shot ( a replacement gun) in a second video and it worked flawlessly.

Although I would like to own one in .45 ACP, I specifically wanted a 9 mm because of, at least in the past, ease of finding ammo and low cost. Right now, it would be practical to reload 9 mm because prices are high. At $9.99 a box, I would rather just shoot than reload it.

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
I do not think they offer it in 45ACP ( or at least not yet). My understanding was that it is offered in 9 and .40, but versions in 45 and 10mm would be awesome for home/camp defense

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have one in 9mm that I mainly use in steel plate matches. I changed the rear sight to be a peep sight and mounted it at the very rear of the receiver to lengthen the sighting radius. I use the Glock mags mainly because I also shoot a Glock G34 in 9mm. Most of the stages we shoot will have about 20 - 25 targets so a 31 rd mag tends to hold plenty of rounds and eliminate magazine changes. If necessary, it would also make a good home defense weapon! Like others, my carbine works perfectly with zero problems feeding, firing or ejecting. So far it has gobbled up everything I have fed it! The only thing I would like to change would be to put it in a nice wood stock! Try one, you will like it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts