Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Ruger P85 conversion?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Ed Zeppelin 
#1 ·
I just got my hands on a 9mm P85. Can it be switched over to a .45?
If so, would it be a major operation or prohibitively expensive? BTW,
it's a MKII edition if that makes any difference. Thanx for any help on this.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

#4 · (Edited)
My cousin's hubby has a P90. He bought it during the '92 L.A. riots and hasn't shot it in at least 25 years.
I've been trying to get him to turn it over to me but for some reason he won't budge. I have a feeling that
the .45 round is too uncomfortable for him. My other option is to offer a trade for my P85 in 9mm for his
P90, thinking that the 9 is easier for him to shoot. We'll see.

#3 ·
Breech face would be too small, extractor & ejector wouldnt likely work, and of course the springs and barrel would have to be changed. Then there is the magazine problem.......

Reactions: Ed Zeppelin
#6 ·
I got this 1991 edition for $200 OTD from my local FFL guy. My only other 9 is a Smith 39-2 which cost me
a little more dinero (almost double). If I can't swap the P85 for his P90 I'll just keep it. Couldn't beat the price.

#8 · (Edited)
Exactamundo, that was a steal. My dealer (FFL, not the other one) got a bunch of confiscated guns from the local sheriff's office. But before I put up any dinero I field stripped it there and checked it as best I could. Everything looked okay so I put it back together (and no parts left over, a rarity for me!), loaded up two mags and took it behind the shop to try it out. It worked just like it should. (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.