Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About black powder and equip ,,,,I know zip.
But I have started staring at a Ruger OA at a pawn shop and it may not end well.
What a nice solid handgun. Blue 7 1/2" barrel with adjustable sights . I don't have a ser.# but it has a red and black box so I believe it is an older gun.
Now the part that throws me off a little is it seems to be wearing a Old Model Dragoon grip frame . Squared off trigger guard with a slightly longer grip.
It looks very "right" on the gun but all pictures I can pull up show a standard Blackhawk grip frame.
Looking for thoughts from them that know about these things ,, If they were ever factory done with the Dragoon grip ???

Also any opinions on what they are bought and sold for and if you like shootin them would be appreciated . Got to get up to speed on them.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
There were 1200 made with brass Dragoon style (Super Blackhawk) grip frame from the factory. 140-00000~140-07700 ser.no. range. They also had the wide serrated trigger. Box end label should say BP-7B.

Ruger also offered this brass grip frame on other Old Model Blackhawks and as a part. It was made from the same mold as the SBH grip frame.

Some guys with large hands would put Old Model Super Blackhawk grip frames on.

20120812_06.JPG

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Me, I would browse Gunbroker and other auction sites for a ballpark price then go in, offer 2/3ds cash and haggle from there.
Then find a cartridge conversion cylinder and shoot .45 Colt also. A lot less messy.

When I was single I used to dismantle my BP revolvers an run them though the dishwasher.
Take them out immediately after the dry cycle, oil them well and reassemble.
I never had a problem with rust.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Just buy it....and do the research before shooting it! You'll have FUN!

WOW, imagine if you will carrying a "front stuffer" in battle...riding a horse...loud noises!
I'll take my 1911 or Glock with extry mags anyday......?

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
Like RdrBill, I know nuthin about Ruger BP revolvers. Mine is a Navy Arms 1851 Colt in .44. It's a hoot to shoot - low recoil and just plain fun. Like Diabloman, it is not something you need to rely on for sustained battle. Once there were several of us shooting, and I brought the NA pistol. Fired off 6 rounds, and 2-3 of the guys wanted to see how to reload that thing. 6 rounds of powder, ram in 6 bullets, sprue to the front, 6 dabs of lube (bear grease in the day), then 6 percussion caps. Only stress was being watched, and my fingers were fumbling all the time - no telling where the sprues ended up! If bullets and arrows were flying around...no telling how hard it'd be to properly reload.

I think I understand now why Rangers carried 3 or more pistols, all loaded, when going into battle. Quickest reload is a fresh pistol! They finally developed the tactics of NOT dismounting (thus becoming relatively immobile and therefore easy targets) but riding straight through the Comanche group, shooting all they could on that pass, get out of range, reload, and repeat. During reloads there would be several riflemen preventing the Comanche from counter-attacking.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup mkk41 , that's the grip frame but not in brass, it's blue steel. I suppose someone must have changed it . No big deal as no one seems to collect these ,by the book . They are all just shooters.
I have no need for a conversion for 45 colt as I have plenty of guns that do that.
I have abstained so far because years ago I drew a line in the sand and proclaimed "No black powder , no archery". Not due to any dislike but due to realizing I already have to many vices.
Geeezze,,, lines can fade after a while.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
BP revolvers are loads of fun! You will be surprised how accurate and powerful they are. You gain a healthy respect for those men who actually used them in battle. And a hearty thanks for modern cartridges!

Genuine Black Powder can be hard to find since it's a Class A explosive , but BP substitutes are treated like smokeless and easy to find.

The Ruger Old Army is a very accurate revolver. You can always get an owners manual from Ruger if one does not come with it.

Use a .454 lead round ball and 35-40grs by volume of 3Fg and a percussion cap. There are several BP lubes on the market which you need to smear over a seated ball , but good ol' Crisco works too.

BTW; I've had the lower one pictured above since I was 16yrs old. My first big-bore revolver!
Picked up the brass frame gun about 7yrs ago at an auction.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I've had a couple of the Ruger Old Armies over the years. Both were Stainless Steel units, which made clean up more simple. Always used Pyrodex powder for the same reason. Fun but a lot of dishes to wash after use.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I've had a couple of the Ruger Old Armies over the years. Both were Stainless Steel units, which made clean up more simple. Always used Pyrodex powder for the same reason. Fun but a lot of dishes to wash after use.
Ya could just take off the grips and put them in the dishwasher!

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Yup mkk41 , that's the grip frame but not in brass, it's blue steel. I suppose someone must have changed it . No big deal as no one seems to collect these ,by the book . They are all just shooters.
I have no need for a conversion for 45 colt as I have plenty of guns that do that.
I have abstained so far because years ago I drew a line in the sand and proclaimed "No black powder , no archery". Not due to any dislike but due to realizing I already have to many vices.
Geeezze,,, lines can fade after a while.
I still can't finger out why Ruger puts a black anodized aluminum grip frame on their blued steel revolvers , yet used the same stainless material for their stainless guns! nbvoALO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts