Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
When I lived down on the coast, my neighbor acquired a Dan Wesson .44 Magnum that was functionally perfect, but had a lot of surface rust and pitting on it. He intended to carry it regularly on his offshore fishing boat, and wanted a "renewable" finish on it - so I helped him apply Brownell's bake-on finish to it - several times. It looked good for awhile but would began to chip and wear on the high points. Perfectly satisfactory for what he had in mind.

I'm sort of with Giz on the "antique" finish on this one.

However, the first thing I would do would be to send the frame and hammer to Don Menk's shop (scroll down here: http://www.cgm-gunstockcheckering.com/J1.htm ) for case color treatment. Prep the metal yourself (which you're gonna have to do anyway) and the cost of the job is much more reasonable. If I liked the look, I might prep the other parts and have them reblued locally for a unique "new" Old Army.

xtm

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
It really does look good in your photos!

If the Old Army turns out to be a fine shooter - and a favorite one - I'm still of the mind that you ought to consider sending that frame and hammer off to have them case colored for a one-of-a-kind look.

xtm

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
LeMat said:
I recently compared the cylinder to that of my Dragoon and was amazed at how much thinner the cylinder walls, as well as the cylinder in general, was than that of the Dragoon.

Anyone know if the carbon steel Rugers are cast like the stainless guns? I'd imagine that the steel is stronger in the ROA than that of the Dragoon...... :?:
IMO, there are plenty of other things out there to keep you awake at night besides worrying about a Ruger cylinder failing with proper loads! :D I wouldn't try to proof it with a cylinderful of Bullseye and a conical, though.

Your Dragoon is an dimensionally-exact replica of a 1840s design for 1840s metallurgy. I'm sure Colt designers beefed it up so their available steel would withstand those heavy charges of black powder - and I'm certain that your replica is made of much stronger steel than the originals. If they slimmed it down to account for the improved steel, it would no longer be an exact replica.

xtm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.