Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a few Ruger handguns and I've always liked the look of the Ruger .22LR pistol with the heavy 5.5" bull barrel. Actually I've always been partial to the bull barrel configuration in general (regardless of the make and model). However ,even when firearms inventories were fat, the bull barrel Ruger 22 wasn't very common. At least not wherever I happened to find myself. So yesterday I stopped in at a local gun-shop that I have been going to for the past eighteen years. It's one of those eccentric places that only locals and truly dedicated gun folks know about. It's a rather ramshackle set of buildings that have been cobbled together over the years. The signage states that autobody and engine work is done there (also one can buy retreads), but not a mention about gun sales. However if one enters the shop, walks pass the tattooed and bearded gentlemen working on cars, and continues to the door labeled "welcome" one will find a small, but well stocked gun-shop. I walked in a few minutes after they opened and found this Ruger Mk II Target for sale. The price was $375 out the door. I asked how many others folks were looking at it and was advised I was the first customer of the day and the Ruger had been sitting on the shelf for a whopping twenty minutes. I bought it right there and then.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Nice!

I've got a .22/45 which has the same receiver and barrel. The only problem I've had with it is with Winchester Dynapoints*. Over half the time, it will recoil enough that the bolt comes back far enough to at least partially reset the hammer but not far enough for the empty case to hit the ejector. It then puts the empty case right back in the chamber and when the trigger is pulled, all you get is a 'click' because the firing pin just hit a fired case.

If that happens to you, try different ammo first. It seems to be a problem peculiar to the gun because no other semi auto of mine has this problem with the same ammo.

*I'm getting old. I can't remember for sure if it was Dynapoints or Xperts. It's the one with a SWC-looking bullet.

edit: Had to reword the third sentence.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I bought the same set up in stainless for my daughter's birthday last year put an adapter on it for a red dot. She loves it. Great gun. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
One of my very first handguns back in 1973 was a Mark I blued bull barrel Ruger. It's what got me started.

I later bought some Mark III stainless bull barrel Rugers for use with training classes I teach. They are great pistols, but do take care about cleaning them and disassembling them. They are hard to completely field strip, and very hard to reassemble.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I had one just like your years ago. The only thing I found with it is as the barrel heats up some accuracy drops off. It ate up any and all 22lr ammo. I have Rem golden bullets 22lr ammo in my ammo box, I need to pick up a Ruger.:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my very first handguns back in 1973 was a Mark I blued bull barrel Ruger. It's what got me started.

I later bought some Mark III stainless bull barrel Rugers for use with training classes I teach. They are great pistols, but do take care about cleaning them and disassembling them. They are hard to completely field strip, and very hard to reassemble.
I've heard that. I've been watching videos on You Tube today about field stripping the Mk II.

·
Registered
26,021 Posts
I own a few Ruger handguns and I've always liked the look of the Ruger .22LR pistol with the heavy 5.5" bull barrel. Actually I've always been partial to the bull barrel configuration in general (regardless of the make and model). However ,even when firearms inventories were fat, the bull barrel Ruger 22 wasn't very common. At least not wherever I happened to find myself. So yesterday I stopped in at a local gun-shop that I have been going to for the past eighteen years. It's one of those eccentric places that only locals and truly dedicated gun folks know about. It's a rather ramshackle set of buildings that have been cobbled together over the years. The signage states that autobody and engine work is done there (also one can buy retreads), but not a mention about gun sales. However if one enters the shop, walks pass the tattooed and bearded gentlemen working on cars, and continues to the door labeled "welcome" one will find a small, but well stocked gun-shop. I walked in a few minutes after they opened and found this Ruger Mk II Target for sale. The price was $375 out the door. I asked how many others folks were looking at it and was advised I was the first customer of the day and the Ruger had been sitting on the shelf for a whopping twenty minutes. I bought it right there and then. View attachment 490030 View attachment 490031 View attachment 490032
Your looks exactly like mine that I have had for a few decades; great shooter. I changed out the factory for Pachmayr wrap arounds (still have the originals). PITA to take down, but accurate.

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Once you understand the part about the hammer needing to be forward and then tipping the gun back to get the hammer strut in position they are a piece of cake to field strip and assemble.
Hey Mark,

I turn it upside down, and give it a shake.

Seems to work? :cool:

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
21,479 Posts
That is a great 22 pistol. My favorites also. Agree with Mark about turning upside down. Have a MK III 22/45 Target, and MK I joined lately by a couple MK IVs. They will spoil you in take down and cleaning. Enjoy that one at the range.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I have a Target MK3 here that a member sold me it was unfired and bought for a song. I have fired it twice, its like a pellet gun..:) I wont be getting rid of it any time soon, but have the $ for take down therapy ready.. Worse case ILL SEND IT TO ERV BUT DONT TELL HIM ...:)

thewelshm

Attachments

·
Registered
19,340 Posts
I have 3 of them. Gearchecker has seen them all (I don't post gun pictures anymore so you can take my word or Gearcheckers word for it). One is completely Volquartsenized with their target grips and trigger group and sear, the other has their trigger and sear with their CF tension barrel and the last one is a Mk2 stock I bought when I was 18 and I'm 70 and it still shoots just fine and has dispactched countless opossums and raccoons from the back deck with Aguila Hyper velocity 22's. I shoot 50 foot indoor match with the tricked up ones. Very accurate. One has a railway holographic sight on it, the other a red dot and the old girl has the stock fixed sights.

I never take them apart. I take the grips off and sights and give them a bath in my heated ultrasonic cleaner with mild solvent for 30 minutes. That gets rid of all the powder fouling. A couple drops of sewing machine oil on the works and they are good to go again.

Fine guns in my humble opinion but like all production firearms, a bit of trigger tuning is always in order. I run the Volquartsen triggers in my 10-22 and my 10-22 Charger too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.