Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new firearm waiting to be picked up tomorrow (Thursday - due to the stupid 3 day waiting period nonsense!) at my dealer.

I've made two phone calls and one online order already for this gun and I don't even have it in my hands. I haven't been so excited about a new gun is a verrrrry long time!

Can anyone guess what Make, Model, and Caliber gun I'm getting?

Hint #1 is the fact that this message is posted in the section it's in here on my favorite Forum.

Hint #2 is the following photo which was one of my phone calls:

-Steve

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Re: Guessing game (New gun coming)

Sip told me to guess a Lorcin................. :p

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Ruger blackhawk .44 magnum??? It is, isn't it???

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Sorry, F150guy, incorrect...but two out of three ain't bad.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts

Im thinking you bought a single action ruger. And your having a set of birdseye maple custom grips made for it.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Shucks Steve... which two did I get right??

It must be a Ruger Blackhawk in another caliber, or a Different Ruger model in .44 magnum. Oh, the choices...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

"Oh, the choices...."

Yesssssssss. There is something very special about this particular model though. That's why I'm so excited to get it finally. I've been waiting 7 months! I bet you can figure it out before I get it tomorrow and post some pics. I'm planning to shoot it Friday too!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Now I reallycan't wait to see those pics...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Ruger Blackhawk .357 / 9mm convertible???

Oh, the suspense, I will stop guessing now... i promise...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Chris, you're soooooooo close!!!!

My online order was to Wolff Springs. My first phone call was to Cary C at http://www.clccustomgrips.com .

I think my second phone call will be obvious once you know what gun it is....

(...and, nope, it's not the 50th Anniversary model Ruger Blackhawk. It is a Ruger. It is a Blackhawk. But it's not a .44 Magnum or a .357 Magnum or a 9mm or a....)

·
Registered
256 Posts

Got to be one of the Lipsky's 44 specials...

What barrel length did ya get ? :cool:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Revog has it right! See how close you were Chris?

I am finally getting a 4 5/8" barrel Lipsey's Exclusive Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special. The gun Skeeter Skelton said Ruger should have made decades ago. Cary is making the Gunfighter birdseye maple handles out of the blanks I picked from his website and he's putting the black eagle Ruger medallions in them (just like the ones that come in the black plastic grips on the factory gun). I think the birdseye maple will look terrific on the blued Blackhawk. I ordered a Wolff spring kit for it too.

But who else did I call? My hint is that it's a three month wait, but at least I'm in line!

Finally an adjustable sighted .44 Special single action revolver. The only way to get a Ruger like this was to buy an old one and have it rechambered and rebored to .44 Special. This new Lipsey's Exclusive has the old style XR3 frame (meaning it's smaller) and (shockingly) the horrific "WARNING: Before shooting gun, read instruction manual available free from...." has been rotated under the barrel where it's out of the way. That leaves the left side of the barrel nice and smooth and gorgeous the way it's supposed to be!

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdVie ... 2&return=Y

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Steve,
That is beautiful, and those grips will just make it irresistably gorgeous! A big congratulations on that one, very tasteful sir. Can't wait for the pictures after the grip install.

p.s.. I am sure Lightnin' Lauren will love it! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I picked up my new Ruger Lipsey's Exclusive Blackhawk .44 Special today.

The blue is gorgeous! Very even and deep. It looks blue instead of black. It's pretty neat to have a Ruger where you're proud to display the left side of the barrel. The "WARNING" is underneath where it's out of the way and doesn't ruin the aesthetics of the revolver.

Finally, a Blackhawk in .44 Special. The way Skeeter Skelton said it should be built. It took four decades, but the mythical .44 Special Ruger is finally available, although these guns are rarer than snowballs in Miami. I feel very lucky to have obtained one.

For anyone who doesn't "get" a Blackhawk with the old XR3 small grip frame chambered in .44 Special instead of a .44 Magnum, please don't even think of buying one. That way, the Skeeter faithful can have a shot at still getting one of these rare guns. Lipsey's had Ruger build 250 4 5/8" barreled single actions like this one and 250 with 5 1/2" barrels during the first quarter of 2009. The same number is scheduled to be made during the second, third, and fourth quarters. That's 1000 of each barrel length. I thought that was alot of guns and that it shouldn't be hard to get one. I was very wrong.

I like that Ruger went back to the old style black eagle medallions. The one on my factory left grip panel is a bit crooked, but that happens and it doesn't bother me because I'm getting the custom birdseye maple handles soon. I think Cary C's gold/yellow maple will look stunning on this beautiful blued steel!

-Steve

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Outstanding! A stunning firearm indeed. Thanks for the great photos (as always) and congratulations!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took a group .44 Special photo.

Colt SAA 1982 5 1/2" with Executioner American Elk handles and Colt SAA 1962 4 3/4" with old Sambar Stag handles on the left.
American Western Arms Peacekeepers on the right, 4 3/4" and 5 1/2".
Cimarron 1872 Open Top with custom action by Bob Munden at the top center.
Ruger Blackhawk in the center.
S&W 624 engraved by Michael Gouse as a Skeeter Skelton tribute with Bear Hug Grips birdseye maple handles.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the springs today and installed them. The trigger pull and hammer action are phenomenal. I can't wait to shoot the gun again with some rounds I loaded up today. My Cowboy .428 rounds were not very accurate. This afternoon I loaded up some Speer 240 grain .430 and some Kopper Koat 205 grain .430 bullets with 11.5 grains of 2400. That should be a nice, mild load with both bullet weights.

Check out the Lyman digital trigger pull gauge, it tells the tale of the trigger pull with the new Wolff Gunsprings:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts