1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Damn it Ruger, they need to stop doing this! I bought a FN 5.7 a while back, Nice gun but the trigger sucks, Nothing you can do about it. I would have preferred a Ruger!

5.7 ammo is no worse than buying 45 Colt or some other rounds. Around $18 per 50. I bought a case when Federal had a rebate was even less then.

I calculated the reloading costs and it is not worth it to me, plus it is a PITA to reload.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,958 Posts
my SIL was all pumped up about the 5-7 - he traded into a FN a year or so ago and I had the chance to shoot it a bit at the local range.. the cartridge itself looked pretty cool - small pointy pill on bottleneck brass..

However I wasn't particularly impressed with either the gun or the cartridge - but I admit i'm more of a big bore shooter and like to feel the thump.. 95876yt

I know there is a case to make on the ballistics of the cartridge, the low recoil and high-velocity and the higher round count in the mag - but for my self defense scenario, a "flying ashtray" makes more sense.. knock 'em down not spin a small hole thru 'em.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Interesting.

FN has had this caliber to themselves for a long time. Although it's really just a curiosity piece to me, at Ruger used prices, it might be an interesting thing to own.

I've never been a huge Ruger fan, but you have to admit, they've been doing a lot of interesting things lately.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting.

FN has had this caliber to themselves for a long time. Although it's really just a curiosity piece to me, at Ruger used prices, it might be an interesting thing to own.

I've never been a huge Ruger fan, but you have to admit, they've been doing a lot of interesting things lately.
The FN intriqued me but not $1200 worth .. still... Friends loved it and ..well .. it is very cool to me for some reason. I gave a fleeting thought to the Rock Island TCM but .. if the 5.7 is a somewhat boutique cartridge then the TCM is really out there.

But .. if true to Ruger plastic form, the Ruger57 comes in at around $500 ish ... Hmmmmmmm :)

·
Super Moderator
19,324 Posts
The gun shop I was at this morning said it should be around $700. Not set in stone, but that's the word I've had on it so far.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Suggested retail of $799... $700 sounds about right for the street price.

With Ruger in town here we have a local gun shop that gets a lot of used new model Rugers. They've never officially confirmed it, but I think they've got an inside line and get some of the magazine/journalist test guns. They often have 3-4 examples of brand new models show up 'used' for a significant discount.

I also have a couple sources for used Rugers that were bought at employee pricing. ;)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
They also just announced an LCP II in 22 long rifle. Competing with The S&W EZ line I think. They are really talking up how easy it is to rack the slide. Would be a good, cheap trainer for the 380 version
https://www.ruger.com/micros/liteRack/
you have to hand it to them .. they are always pushing their product line. I thought the American line would have done better but I am seeing them now at basement prices. I rented one in 9mm when they first came out .. it was ok but didn't endear itself to me.

Maybe by next Christmas those 57's will be closer to what I would pay for it??

·
Registered
203 Posts
I thought the American line would have done better but I am seeing them now at basement prices. I rented one in 9mm when they first came out .. it was ok but didn't endear itself to me.
Ruger has never quite got it right with the LE/Military semi-auto handgun market. The 'P' series, well, they just weren't all that good. The American series finally got a lot right, but it wasn't quite there with the rest of the market. Not to mention being a few years to late.

Smith, IMHO, got both the gun and the timing right with the M&P.

·
Banned
918 Posts
800$? You could almost buy a FN, for that much!

The round is a real performer. Don't believe that ballistic gel jazz. One shot drops a varmint like a bag of rocks.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Would the varmint drop faster if shot with a rifle? The hand gun doesn't do much for me, but a 10 shot bolt gun would get my attention real quick, like a Ruger with an 18" barrel.

·
Registered
16,926 Posts
A friend of mine has one and is fun to shoot but I just cannot see adding more calibers and ammo. Do applaud Ruger for growing their product line. THey are innovative and do make a quality gun.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,650 Posts
I had an FN FiveseveN and an AR-57. They were fun range toys. I sold them right after Sandy Hook.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had an FN FiveseveN and an AR-57. They were fun range toys. I sold them right after Sandy Hook.
Forgive my ignorance but ... were they the guns used at sandy hook?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts