Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you have a hate on for Ruger, so a warning in the title. Myself, I always saw Ruger as a maker of dependable if not remarkable firearms, and I like'em. Recently I picked up a stainless new Vaquero in 357 and Bisley trim, and that gun is just downright handsome looking. It feels amazing in the hand and shoots great. A guy at the range commented that the Bisley grip really handles recoil well. We are about to find out! This is a man's gun, a massive thing with a heavy frame and a 7.5 inch barrel. Adjustable sights. Personally I think I won the lottery on the grips too, with some nice grain. Can't wait to get this thing to the range. My only gun with a non-fluted cylinder. Nice roll marked scenes on it.

It's nice that Ruger, and S&W, are evolving the single action revolver instead of just making historical pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Very nice find. After not owning a .45 Colt for years, (sticking with my .357's and .44's) I bought a convertible model Blackhawk with a .45 ACP cylinder and it was so accurate and fun to shoot I went looking for a Smith 25 in the older caliber and am very happy. Bet you are going to enjoy your new Ruger.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Not a Ruger 'hater'. I don't hate anyone or anything. I do dislike earlier Ruger semi auto pistols because they are a big PITA to take down and I dislike the Ruger No.1 Rifle because of it's inherent inaccuracy that can be fixed but should have never been sold in the configuration it is.

I own 3 of them, 2 match pistols (heavily reworked) and a Mini too.

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
41 Stockers.jpg Survival  Kit.jpg flower holsters.jpg

pearl.jpg

Got a few myself....I like them except the square knuckle busting Dragoon version..

thewelshm

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Just have three myself...a 3" GP100, SP101 and the SR9c and all are dependable ans accurate. Congrats on the latest addition to you stable.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I bought a .45 LC Bisley Blackhawk when they first came out in 1989. You're going to love that gun, it's a gentle giant to shoot with standard loads, and it can also easily rock and roll with souped up .45 LC hand loads.

I used mine in Cowboy Action shooting matches for years until I decided to switch to a shorter barrel Blackhawk that I fitted with a Bisley hammer to work in a regular grip frame.

That's become my standard upgrade for all of my non-Bisley Blackhawks, even an Old Model 3-screw Blackhawk (the one below the Bisley). I lucked out and got one of the last remaining Bisley hammers made and sold by Clements Custom Guns for an Old Model Blackhawk, as they have been discontinued by Clements.

DSC01669.JPG

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gents. Great pics of some fine examples, and glad to hear you're enjoyjng them too.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have more than one Ruger. In fact probably more than I need. Yours is a great looking gun. I bet it shoots great. I could never get used to the look of the Bisley grip. Mine are the Vaquero.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
As some of you know, my EDC is a Ruger Speed-Six. I’ve had a dozen or so over the years, rifles and pistols. All have been quality pieces, with only the rifle needing a little bedding help. I used to hunt in the rain/snow a lot! When you work construction, often the hunting time you get is when you can’t work! My Ruger triggers are no match for most of my Smith triggers, but every one of us has our strong points and weak points. Both are fine pieces in their own realm. Hank. Those are some beautiful pictures of some fine weapons! Envious!

·
Registered
17,001 Posts
Congrats on a very nice Ruger and I really like the 45 Colt as it is very versatile if you reload, especially in a Ruger. I like the Bisley and have a Nice gathering of Rugers, Colts, JP Sauer & Sohn, Uberti. All in 45 Colt and a few extras in 357 Mag. I do like the SA by the way.
Bisley
thumbnai1l.jpg
Lipsey
thumbnail.jpg
Blackhawk
thumbnail1.jpg
Vaquero
IMG_3730.JPG
And the group of others
thumbnail2-3-7-2019.jpg

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've owned two .45 Colts; one Smith and one Ruger. Neither one was particularly accurate. The Ruger was one of the first out of the factory and the barrel and cylinder throats were horribly mismatched so it went back to the factory for a new barrel and cylinder. It helped but I never found a load it really liked. I used the Smith as a pin gun and it was good for that.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I once had a stainless Super Blackhawk 44mag that I traded off many many moons ago. Boy...I wish I had that revolver back....

But let's see I have now...............
M77 (tang Safety) in 30-06
MKII Government Target pistol
SR1911
P90 Series 45
10/22 Rifle
AR 556

Would not mind to have another single action Blackhawk one of these days
so yeah...I like Rugers...

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Congrats on a very nice Ruger and I really like the 45 Colt as it is very versatile if you reload, especially in a Ruger. I like the Bisley and have a Nice gathering of Rugers, Colts, JP Sauer & Sohn, Uberti. All in 45 Colt and a few extras in 357 Mag. I do like the SA by the way.
Bisley
View attachment 444939
Lipsey
View attachment 444941
Blackhawk
View attachment 444943
Vaquero
View attachment 444945
And the group of others
View attachment 444947
Wow...nice, Nice !

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
I bought my SBH in 44 magnum, first single action I ever owned. Couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with it. Front sight was canted and tons of faults. I sent it back to Ruger, came back like it was hand made. I wish their QC dept was more effective, but have no complaints now..:)

Thewelshm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts