Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger Breaktop. I had to go look it up in Rugers book. Yes they did make them.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The top one is a 22 Hornet. I didn't read up on them, my mistake. I saw this and just had to post. Gonna have to wait till the Rugerphiles chime in on this.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Looks to be a 6 or 7 inch barrel. A .22 Hornet makes it even more attractive. One could shoot some medium range varmits possibly (50 yds. +/- maybe farther) with the Hornet. Come onnn Rugerphiles.

·
Registered
197 Posts
One of Bill Rugers "many" prototypes that he liked to try out, and he did a LOT of them after all he was a designer....pump shotguns, side by side ( they finally came out with the Gold Label, and now are in "limbo"...) of course his Hawkeye 256 single shots, short lived and the 357 maximums..........same went for materials,he made the ;lightweight Single Sixes but they too were gone in a short time...later he even made 'alloy' ( lightweight Blackhawks, and a couple fo them got out of the factory and into the hands of collectors, and he made "castings" state of the art over the years, but there too, back in 2007 they got out of the 'titanium' casting business??? go figure...... fhfjjjj

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow! Those are are really neat looking! Thank you for sharing the photo - I've learned something new today.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is to bad Ruger didn't continue with these in several different calibers, and barrel lengths. I know I would have bought a few.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Another example of the kind of neat post that enables us ALL to learn something.
Thanks, folks!
hilbns;s
Don

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for posting a very interesting set of guns. As has been said we learn. Thanks Frank ihjf

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I must've been asleep at the wheel or at some posting in Germany, otherwise I'd have one or two of those things. Are those tool room samples or production guns? How many were produced? Different calibers? What? What? What? kljng; kljng;

You raise more questions with that one picture than anyone has a right to. oja;n What's the book say about it? Please?

:mrgreen:

G

·
0 Posts
Those were Ruger XP Prototypes and were actually instrumental in the developement of the Single Six. Bill Ruger had already grown to a 25 member company. He was attempting to make a copy of the old Stevens Tip-up. In bring this single shot to a near production stage, he realized that it was not to far of a stretch to tool-up for the Single Action. Afterall, Colt was getting out of the SA market.

Believe it or not, there is one of these Prototype guns circulating up here in Maine. I've been on it's trail for some time...

giz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts