Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news that my son goes back to full duty tomorrow, bad news is my wife and I will not sleep easy going down the road, just like the near 16 years previous, minus this last 9 months off for injury rehab. To be honest, I still never slept well even then, worried about all the kids and family, but I have my issues. Anyway, I bought this Ruger American 9mm a few years back now, I really like the way it shoots and I can put it on target even with my failing eyesight. I keep it close by if I think I need more than what I’m usually carrying and don’t want to go to a ‘hidey hole’ tactical option. Tomorrow my boy will attempt to requalify with his Glock 17C and has been practicing. I’ve seen the practice results from this afternoon, I don’t think he’ll have much of an issue unless he suddenly goes blind on the range, which I doubt will happen. 2 years ago, when he was shooting often with his Glock, we went to an indoor range and he took a run with my Ruger. His target result was frankly scary, to the point 2 shooters near us came over to comment about it because they could see it from their shooting lanes. I WAS NOT angry they assumed it was my son shooting and not me, but it was in the back of my mind that 30 years previous, it might have been a different story! :D Anyway, I simply don’t like the way a Glock feels in my hand, although I have two and can shoot extremely well with both, my son said he could easily adapt to this Ruger platform, it didn’t hamper him in any way, shape or form. The only knock I have on Ruger is that during the time this model came out, they had several competing models that never had time to mature on the market, so there are many to choose from in order to decide; good, better, best, which is what? If you’re looking for a good full sized semi-auto (and can even find one today), don’t overlook this one, it’s a good shooter!

·
Super Moderator
13,726 Posts
These are excellent pistols. I have one, and it's quite accurate.

There has been a recall on the barrel / lug design. After the upgrade, it doesn't shoot quite as softly as originally, but it won't beat up the chamber end of the barrel.

I recommend sending it for the fix.

Reactions: Blackcloud2

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
While I don't have one, my one hunting bud bought a Ruger American rifle chambered in 308 and I will say for a production rifle it shoots quite well. 1" groups at 150 yards. It ain't no Kreiger barrel but it's not bad for what it is. I think the furniture sucks however.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Part of the problem in my opinion is lost control of the message which is usually firearms periodicals write ups proceeding the actual release of the product. There were a bunch of internet "Firearms Experts that gave negative reviews". I found those review's to condescending/thus negative. I am not a Ruger person but I acquired a RAP9. I compared it to examples Glock-17 and S&W MP9. After extensive firing sessions I decided it was a keeper and then went on to acquire a RAP45.

·
Registered
476 Posts
YesI like mine as well. Good shooter, good design/features, good price. I never did understand the lackluster sales.
When they first came out I thought they would sell like crazy. Retiring 5 years later we were lucky if we sold 2 of them. LGS said he finally sold the last 2 he had a few weeks ago. Really don't know why I thought it was a pretty good gun.

·
Super Moderator
13,726 Posts
I bought two of them (one with and one without the manual safety) a few years ago from a friend that had acquired them new in a surplus auction from a defunct security company.

They were Ruger's entry into the military pistol purchase trials that ended up selecting the SIG P320 a couple of years ago as the replacement for the M9 Beretta 92F.

There was a recall October, 2018 on the American to resolve a geometry issue in the barrel lockup and lug. I sent both receiver slides and barrels back to them, and within a week had the new barrels installed.

When the pandemic gun buying panic started up this Spring, I reviewed the firearms I have in my collection, and selected many of them to consign and sell based on market potential. One was the Ruger American that had a manual safety. I like the pistol, and kept the one without manual safety. It sold on consignment within 2 days, and at a price that realized enough to almost pay for both of them.

I expect that not winning the military contract knocked the wind out of the Ruger American Pistol's sails, and then the recall sealed it. I can tell you that I have no issue with the pistol; Ruger customer service was outstanding and I still regularly get the pistol to the range.

·
Registered
288 Posts
They are great guns. I think the weight is a little much for anyone looking for a carry gun, esp. in the compact model. They are dependable, accurate, and backed by a great company.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wanted to provide a bit of an update; thanks to 'eagle eye' Marc (mrerick) who spotted the color of the barrel in my pistol and sure enough, it is subject to a safety recall. I've contacted Ruger and hopefully will receive a mailing box in the near future to send my barrel and slide in for retrofit. Thanks again Marc, although I doubt I'd have ever put enough rounds through it to see it damaged, I don't generally enjoy much good luck when it comes to matters like this, so it's best not to take a chance! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts